Help Help Help!!! My Functions Keys Are All Messed Up :-(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pqotd, Apr 26, 2009.

1. pqotd macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I was very 'cleverly' trying out all the function keys as I had read that one of them was supposed to be a desktop shortcut i.e when its pressed you see the desktop immediately!

Somehow all the keys have now all messed up - i.e the volume keys no longer work and instead they produce the dashboard key etc - all very weird for me!

I've read a similar post by a user who had the same issue last year and have tried to use the reply that was given to him - but its not worked i.e

System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard > Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys.... (that's checked!)

I don't know what else to try - why isn't the RESTORE TO FACTORY DEFAULT working!

I know i managed to get the right click mouse button option working for my macbook yesterday (and the F keys seemed to have stopped working since then).

Pretty please can someone help me

Thanks

PQOTD

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

This should be unchecked in order to get the functionality that you're looking for.

3. pqotd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You Blue Revolution - Now another question!!

Okay so that worked - you're a star for helping!! :p

Next problem - when i'm typing the screen keeps scrolling/jumping up and down very quickly - is there a quick fix??

And now that the function keys are all working - what's the keyboard shortcut for 'Show Desktop'?

Also - what't the purpose of the F3 key - I don't see the point of it!! :confused:

Thanks again

4. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

f3 show all open windows.. open a few and hit it, you will see.

5. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm not sure where you're coming from here. If you start typing when the cursor is not visible, the page will jump to wherever the cursor is so you can see what you're typing. If there is no text entry field active, like on the Safari page you're looking at right now, the spacebar will cause Safari to scroll down by a whole page.

Does that answer your question?

By default, you can activate it with fn+F11. As Pomeroy points out, you can remap the command to whatever key you want, or to trigger when the mouse moves to a screen corner. I like hot corners personally, since it allows me to switch windows without ever having to touch the keyboard. It does take some practice to avoid activating it by accident, but it's worthwhile.

Unfortunately, I've had to do away with hot corners on my own system. Three monitors makes for a lot of corners to trigger by accident.

7. pqotd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Everyone :)

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the help you've given me with all my questions....

I'm still having problems as I type this query in that the page keeps scrolling up and down and i'm not pressing anything to make it do that. The cursor is remaining where I left it, but i've just got to scroll back to see what I was doing....

I've just thought of yet another - I think the answer is NO but i'll try anyway - is there a way of maximizing the screen on a mac i.e the F11 key on a pc for Full Screen?

Also (yeah i know i'm being greedy with all the questions i'm asking, but you're all so clever!) - ive got Entourage for Mac installed and in the Calender there's different viewing options i.e recurring yearly, weekly etc etc - I was able to do that, but then I must have messed around with something and now all my events have gone - yet they're saved in the individual dates - so for example if I wanted to view all my friends and families b'days which occur every year (and were saved that way) - they would have all shown up in the 'Recurring Yearly' option - now its empty.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The scrolling problem is most likely an arrow key that's stuck down.