HELP HELP HELP - Power Mac G4 Will not start up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jmewilliams, Feb 27, 2008.

1. jmewilliams macrumors newbie

Here's the deal - After proper shut down to unplug computer to protect from lightning storm it now will not boot up. Historically it has done this in the past and after allowing to sit for a day or two it starts right up. There really has been no consistency with this - only that it has never done it when just shut down - only when it has been shut down and sits unplugged from the wall.

If anyone could please help. I am far from a computer genius bust can usually trouble shoot on my own and have had no luck. :eek:

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sounds like a bad fuse. Which model is it?

TEG

3. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Which model G4? It could be a couple of things, the mobo battery comes to mind first. Depending on the model you can reset the CUDA which will probably do it.

4. jmewilliams thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe it's a Power Mac G4 dual 450MHz - I'm at work and it has now slipped my mind since I need to know it.

5. jmewilliams thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok - how would someone go about resetting the CUDA

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It may be the 123 battery on the mother board, the Power Switch on the front, or a fuse in the power supply. Try starting up the computer using the Keyboard, and see if that works.

TEG

7. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Go here:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95065
    Do not press it for more than two seconds, do not press it repeatedly, there are some reports that the controller can get fried. I have never seen that happen, but...