Help Help Help!!!

bandiago

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2006
2
0
Hey, ive been typing a 10 page paper on microsoft word, and when i went to save it, that spinning multi-colored icon over the mouse cursor came up and had been there ever since. i can use other programs, but when i go to microsoft word, the cursor spins around and i cant click on anything.

is there anyway to make it stop and continue my work?

if i have to force quit, is there any way to get back some of what i may have lost?
 

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
1,218
31
bandiago said:
Hey, ive been typing a 10 page paper on microsoft word, and when i went to save it, that spinning multi-colored icon over the mouse cursor came up and had been there ever since. i can use other programs, but when i go to microsoft word, the cursor spins around and i cant click on anything.

is there anyway to make it stop and continue my work?

if i have to force quit, is there any way to get back some of what i may have lost?
Force quitting will leave you with no option but to lose your data. I`d advice you to leave the computer like that for some time. And pray to god. Also dont do anything else with the Mac at all. Dont even close or open other windows. You just might save your data if luck is by your side.

Remember. Dont do any thing for atleast 20-30 min. If it still doesnt work then..........
My sympathies...
 

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
1,216
0
Netherlands
Word does autosave and then recover documents if and when it has crashed. Its happened to me a number of times. Usually you don't lose too much, unless you just happened to be highly productive after the last auto-save. ;)

Good luck!
 

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
1,218
31
Just be patient for some time. I`d advice you to not even check back this site for some time for other replys. If it still doesnt work after half an hour then you are free to try anything you like. The chances of retreiving your data will be almost nil by then. But still hope for the best.

Tip : I know this was an emergency for you and you are new to forums. But still it`s always better to specify your exact problem in the the title instead of just HELP HELP HELP.

Tip2: Trying saving your data more often than saving it all at once. Atleast you`ll recover some part if such thing ever happens again.
 

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
1,218
31
mfacey said:
Word does autosave and then recover documents if and when it has crashed. Its happened to me a number of times. Usually you don't lose too much, unless you just happened to be highly productive after the last auto-save. ;)

Good luck!
Oops. I almost forgot bout the autosave feature.:eek:
Hope you had not turned it off Bandiago
 

bandiago

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2006
2
0
ok guys it worked, thanks for the help.

I left it alone for the last hour or so, and then word was still frozen. So i came back, opened up Grab (Applications/Utilities) and took a screen shot of as much of the document that was possible, basically the last page and a half.

then when i opened up word, it said it was titled "Document: Recovered" so most of what i had was saved, on top of what i can copy from the screenshot.
 

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
1,218
31
bandiago said:
ok guys it worked, thanks for the help.

I left it alone for the last hour or so, and then word was still frozen. So i came back, opened up Grab (Applications/Utilities) and took a screen shot of as much of the document that was possible, basically the last page and a half.

then when i opened up word, it said it was titled "Document: Recovered" so most of what i had was saved, on top of what i can copy from the screenshot.
Huh. Good to hear you didn`t lose anything.