HELP HELP What should I do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by quicksilver8907, Jun 9, 2007.

1. quicksilver8907 macrumors newbie

I just graduated high school and I wish to pursue a career in Video Production. I have been a pc user all of my life, but now I want to switch to macs for obvious reasons. I want a computer that will run final cut pro smoothly. I got about 1000 dollars for graduation, but I was hoping to save some of it. However, I really want a computer that will run FCP well and will last me awhile. I can get a dual 2.7ghz g5 with 4.5gb of ram and 500gb hard drive for 1300. Or I could get a dual 1.25ghz g4 with 768 mb of ram and a 120gb hard drive for 500. What should I do, should I spend all of my money and get the sweet g5 or should I start out with the g4 and work my way up? I need help, please help as soon as possible. Thanks
    Tyler

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I think you'll be pushing it with the G4. Especially with how little RAM it has. The G5 is definitely the way to go. Fast processor, TONS of RAM...it will handle FCP quite nicely.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Get the G5, the dual G4s are really showing their age and will even more so in 12-18 months time. The 1.25s are also noisy as hell.

4. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

The G5 will be worth it. Get it while the deal lasts.

5. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

That's a solid deal for those specs. It will definitely last you a while