Help: High or low end 15"MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by syunysi, Mar 3, 2011.

1. syunysi macrumors newbie

I would appreciate if someone could give me some advices. I am planning on buying a 15" MBP soon, but not sure which one is more suitable for me. My usage includes statistical software (SPSS, daily and heavy use), ms office (daily and heavy use, including Access), Photoshop (I don't often use it, but if I do, it's quite heavy), web browsing, little music and movie, no gaming at all. Due to the need of my work, I alway run several programs at once, like Google chrome, ms office (word and excel), Adobe reader and SPSS. In the near future, I will be using 3D scanning (the scanning machine most likely would be NextEngine) for my work. The quality of image is not my main concern since my work is about calculating the 3D area of the images, so I need a computer which can run smoothly while scanning and calculating. I was wondering if I need a high end 15" with better GPU and CPU, I will change the 750GB 5400rpm to 500GB 7200rpm, which I think may run faster(?). In terms of RAM and SSD, will upgrade aftermarket. I went to the apple retail store yesterday and loved the anti-glare screen, so if I get a high end, it would be a little too expensive. I don't chase technology, my current laptop is about 4.5 years old, so hope the new one can last at least 5 years. By the way, portability is important for me so I can't go for a iMac or anything larger than the 15" MBP.

Thanks in advance!

2. gox81 macrumors member

gox81

got the low end 15" MBP,
    my profile is a bit similar to yours,
    photoshop / word/office / spss / 3D CAD ( student )
    everything runs perfect and haven't even upgraded ram yet.
    top end mbp surely will run better, but the low end is no slouch.
    just upgrade ram for multitasking and you'll be set.