Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mimsharold

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2012
Plano, TX
Apogee Duet 2 "Hiss"

I tried a two prong adapter and it did not solve the problem.
I noticed that I still had the RCA cables connected to the earphone jack
on my MBP, and when I disconnected them....PRESTO! Very clear sound!

macmusician.exe

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2012
Des Moines, IA
Pretty much same problem here, going mad with this :/

Macbook Pro -> Duet -> Yamaha HS50M. This works fine, everything sounds clear.

I have a similar set up, iMac -> Duet (1st generation) -> Yamaha HS50M.

As soon as I hear the Apogee make the "click" noise when it turns on, I hear the hiss. As long as the Duet and the monitors are both on the hiss noise is present, even with headphones in my case.

Do you get the same noise using the headphones via the headphone out?

Also do you get the same noise from the macs own out put to the speakers?

Does anyone know if the Duet 2 has these issues?

M66M

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2012
Same problem here, new info on this?

Running Duet first gen, macbook pro (os 10.7.3), maestro 2, fw400 to fw400, HS80M monitors, 1/4 TRS to XLR on my monitors, 7506 headphones. Self noise, hissing from output. Present in headphones and monitors. Present with macbook plugged in or not. (I'm well aware of how to use a simple ground lift) not applicable in this case. Wish it were that easy. Any new thoughts? Sounds like they're obviously all like this...

CFoss

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
I'm curious, is anyone experiencing the same issues with the Duet 2? If it truly is a fault with the FireWire design, I'm guessing it will be fixed with the new USB interface. I was about to purchase this card, but I don't want to run into the same issues.

I use a Mac Pro '08 (though I'm probably purchasing a new MacBook Pro this summer) and a pair of Yamaha HSM50s. Also, does anyone know if a new version of Duet is on the way? Finally, do people have a suggestion for a different soundcard?

Thanks for your advice. :)

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I'm curious, is anyone experiencing the same issues with the Duet 2? If it truly is a fault with the FireWire design, I'm guessing it will be fixed with the new USB interface. I was about to purchase this card, but I don't want to run into the same issues.

I use a Mac Pro '08 (though I'm probably purchasing a new MacBook Pro this summer) and a pair of Yamaha HSM50s. Also, does anyone know if a new version of Duet is on the way? Finally, do people have a suggestion for a different soundcard?

Thanks for your advice. :)

I have not heard of any issues with the Duet 2. I'm still using Duet 1, so I can't say for certain. I doubt we will see a new Duet for several years at least. The Duet 2 is a relatively new piece of tech--especially by apogee standards. The Ensemble is still the same generation as the Duet 1.

snarleybrown

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2013
output ambience

i have no problems with input interference between my duet and my macv mini....it's the output interference....hisses and freezes when i try to use the duet knob to adjust sounds....any suggestions?

Bradly 373

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2016
Wow, that's so crazy I'd believe it might actually be true. I have such a love/hate relationship with my duet. Sigh.
[doublepost=1459013547][/doublepost]I'm not sure If this will help anyone else but this fixed my problem. For the last few years channel 1 has been nothing but noise and channel two has been hit and miss. After reading the post I decided it was broken and I would just take it apart . I took the back cover off . Only 4 screws. lightly blew everything off. And pulled this one little metal thing that sticks up on the pc board ( think it's some kind of ground ) OMG. It works perfect now . Dead quiet. Hope this helps someone else. Just lightly pull that little thing. Don't break it. My apogee is the duet FireWire version.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.