HELP: Home networking questions

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Toby Goodbar, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

i am trying to make it possible to use our router between me and my room mate. we both have a big collection of movies and music. we want to make select folders viewable. i have set everything up and have everything running but i'm not sure how to lock down my mac a little better.

from HIS pc, it asks for a name and password, but only my (single user) mac account name and password work for this. he also can see my entire hard from my personal folder. i have mulitple hard drives and the secondary is where my stuff is that i want to share. to solve this i'm using sharepoint.

how do i lock up my primary hard drive?
    how do i either give him his own name and password or make it so it doesnt ask for one?

i don't have 2 use sharepoint if someone has a better app or a native way to deal with file sharing within osx.

equipment:
    g4 powermac, wireless usb adaptor, osx 10.4.11, 2 hard drives (2nd has 2 partitions and using hi-cap driver)

my roomate is PC w/XP

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just create a new user account on your machine, then make an alias in his home folder to the folder you want him to see, then give him permissions for that folder.

TEG

3. cowm007 macrumors regular

Make sure you make it a standard account and not an admin account so he doesn't have access to the root of the drive.

And are you not using the built-in File Sharing service on your Mac? It's probably the easiest way to share files across a network. It's in the Sharing pane in System Preferences.