Help! Home networking with Lion and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Zulithe, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Zulithe macrumors member

Zulithe

I am having a heck of a time getting my Windows 7 w/ SP1 PC and my Macbook Pro with Mac OSX Lion GM to recongize and share files with one-another over my home network.

There are a number of network drives that both computers can see, but neither are seeing one-another.

I can't believe that in 2011 Mac and PC still can't easily share files over a network :( It's so frustrating! Any help would be appreciated!

2. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

3. Zulithe thread starter macrumors member

Zulithe

Yeah, good question... umm I really don't know, I was looking on google for this just now and I'm not getting a clear indication of exactly what it is or how to disable/enable it. Do I need it on or off for Lion?

4. Zulithe thread starter macrumors member

Zulithe

After some fiddling with settings I am able to see my Windows 7 PC from Lion (but not the other way around); I can login and 'mount' a shared folder, but when I try to drag files from Lion to Windows, the "Copy" dialog box pops up and it stays at zero bytes forever. And when I click "stop copying" nothing happens. I pretty much have to restart my Mac at that point or the window never goes away. Help!

5. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

I dont know if its changed for Lion, but on SL:

System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing > Options

Tick all the boxes, switch sharing on, let it be for certain users of for everyone.

I have my Mac mini sharing an external hdd so that my old Xbox w/ XBMC can read the files, and so that my W7 bootcamp and W7 laptop can see the files also, as well as my Macs of course.

6. Zulithe thread starter macrumors member

Zulithe

Both computers are on the same Homegroup.

Both use the same login name and password

My Windows 7 network settings are as follows:
    network discovery: on
    file and print sharing: on
    public folder sharing: off
    media streaming: off
    file sharing connections: 128-bit
    password protected sharing: on
    homegroup connections: use user accounts

7. Zulithe thread starter macrumors member

Zulithe

Well in Lion when I go to the File Sharing Options, I have 'share files and folders using afp' checked (it says 0 users connected)

and "share files and folders using SMB (Windows)" checked. I also have my account listed in the list below, and nothing else is shown there.

8. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

Sometimes it takes a few reboots of each machine. Daft I know.

My Mac can see my Windows Laptop, that has its File Sharing switch on.
    My Windows can see my Mac etc

Make sure you are on the same WORKGROUP.

On windows, right click Computer in start menu and your workgroup will be on the there somewhere, probably defaulted as WORKGROUP.

On your Mac, go to Sys Prefs > Network > Advanced (for whichever adapter you use to connect) > WINS > Check the workgroup.

Thats all I can think of really.

Mine only ever seems to stop working whenever I need it for something important! The rest of the time it works flawlessly.

9. Zulithe thread starter macrumors member

Zulithe

Thank you for your replies. I have re-confirmed that they are both on the same WORKGROUP (sorry, I said homegroup above but i meant workgroup) :(

10. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

Switch everything off (including router) and go have a coffee/cigarette/beer.
    Then come back in 15 minutes and try again. My usual solution when technology refuses to work.

11. Heb 7:4 macrumors regular

Has anyone solved this? It's driving me crazy. I have all my media on my Mac (including two external drives) shared with my windows 7 media centre hooked up to the TV. Before Lion it all worked fine, but afterwards the media centre can't see the Mac at all.

The Mac can still see the media centre and play anything stored on it, but the media centre can't see the Mac.

Folders on the Mac are all shared, AFP and SMB ticked in sharing settings, am on the same workgroup on both machines. Not sure what to try next!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially from anyone who encountered and solved this!

12. mdsofky macrumors newbie

SAME problem...

I have 5 iMacs, 1 MacBook Pro and 1 Windows computers in our home. 3 iMacs and MacBook Pro now have Lion. Other two iMacs have Snow Leopard. I am fixing a couple of Windows computers for friends (so currently have XP and Windows 7 in the house). NONE of the Windows PCs can see the Lion shares. The Snow Leopard shares show up immediately in the "My Network Places". I can see Lion PCs only if I put in \\"computer name of Lion iMac" or the IP address. However, it then prompts for user name and password and no matter what I put in (guest, my username and password, my username and password, using the domain\user name then password, etc.), I get a

"...is not accessible. You might not have permission to sue this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. A remote procedure call (RPC) protocol error occurred."

I also have a HP Color LaserJet with the ability to "scan to a folder" which worked fine under Snow Leopard, and now it can't see the share with Lion.

NOTHING has changed in my network other than the upgrades from Snow Leopard to Apple.

I called Apple using my AppleCare Protection and they referred me to HP and Microsoft. I said it's not an HP or Microsoft issue as NOTHING has changed on those PCs and my Snow Leopard macs still work fine. I then got "disconnected" (or hung up on).

Would love to know the answer to this if anyone has any ideas.

13. Heb 7:4 macrumors regular

I've simply given up. It is beyond frustrating that this still doesn't seem to have been picked up by apple.