Help! Home Sharing on IPad 3.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Redjericho, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Hello! I cannot seem to get home sharing to work (particularly videos) on my iPad 3. It is activated and set up in iTunes, but the problem is, I cannot find the shared videos button in the videos app. Here is a picture:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, there is only the "store" button. Where could the shared tab be hiding? The apple tutorials are particularly unhelpful as none of them are updated to iOS 5, so they all require the "iPod" app, which was removed.

If it's any help, there is no shared section in the music app either, not even under the "more" tab.

2. PantherCreek macrumors regular

I would say that your best bet would be to start over step by step to make sure you're not missing anything.

Check iTunes > Advanced to see your home sharing ID
    and then check your setting on your iPad to make sure it's the same ID

If that's not the issue, you could check your file sharing on your Mac

System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing: check that option

Try that, see if any of those work.

3. AceCoolie macrumors regular

Is your wireless access point on the same subnet as the computer your trying to share?

4. Redjericho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did all that, no luck.

----------

Yes it is.

What is really odd is that the button isn't even there. Shouldn't it at least appear, even if it doesn't do anything?

5. PantherCreek macrumors regular

The only other thing I can think of is if the movies are AVI files. Those work with iTunes, but not your iPad, that could be a reason they don't show up on your iPad. Handbrake would fix that for free.

----------

One other thing that may happen is if the video file is checked as "part of a compilation" they sometimes don't show up on the iPad.