HELP! hooked up to a pc to transfer files .. what is a sharename?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yukon0013, Aug 1, 2007.

1. yukon0013 macrumors regular

yukon0013

when i am on the mac and i am going to transfer files from a pc.. it asks for a sharename ----> smb://IP address/sharename .... what is the sharename?!???!?!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In this case, I think it's a username that has access to the files you're wanting to access on the PC. If you leave it out, I don't think it matters all that much. It'll ask you for it in the next dialogue box.

3. Grafdude@gmail. macrumors newbie

It's the name of the shared folder on your windows machine, let's say your shared folder or partition on your windows is named "DATA", well you then need to type smb://IP/DATA

4. yukon0013 thread starter macrumors regular

yukon0013

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Super minor clarification: it doesn't have to be the folder name, it's just a name you assign to the folder when you share it.

i.e. you could share a folder named "c:\document and settings\user\My Documents\stuff" as "shared", you'd access it as smb://ip/shared not smb://ip/stuff.

Note too, that XP shares the entire drive (for all fixed drives) by default as a hidden share available as smb://ip/c$, assuming you know the administrative username & password.

B