HELP!! How can I remove all previous owners files, docs, etc without restoring

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jbrown11352, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Jbrown11352 macrumors newbie

I bought a used late 2009 MacBook & Mac Mini HTPC loaded with apps/programs and this is my first run with Macs. The previous owner didn't restore them at my request as part of the deal, all of the software discs and serial numbers went with his other MacBook when he sold it and if I restore I will lose everything but iwork and snow leopard, I can't afford to buy new and don't want illegitimate copies of CS5 Master collection and tons of others that can't be updated. I have spent two days attempting to remove his what seem to be thousands of files, docs, etc and seem to be getting nowhere and don't want to accidentally remove any operating components either. Is it possible to delete the user that installed all this software to wipe out his info/files without losing the software itself? He is the only user besides "guests", "staff" and "everyone else", I renamed it once but it seems to revert when I go to another app??? HELP the Newbie please.

Thanks in advance

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Create another admin account and delete the old user from the new user account.

Btw, you have illegally obtained software on your Mac, as you don't own the licenses to those titles. It doesn't matter, if they were installed on the Mac when you bought them, as you didn't buy the licenses, the software is not legally yours and can be held against you (which almost never happens, unless you make money with it).