HELP!! How can I update ipods to 5.0 without erasing music?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sueperdave, Nov 11, 2011.

1. sueperdave macrumors newbie

2 of my kids have ver 4 ipod touches and I want to update them to ios5.
    The problem is they were not originally set up with my computer...what options do I have so that I don't lose all their music etc?

I asked this on another site and got this answer...

"You can plug them in and update their iPods but first prevent iTunes from syncing with their iPods or their music will disappear. In iTunes go to Edit, Preferences, Devices, check the box that says prevent iPods iPads iPhones from syncing automatically.. 99% sure on this."

Any help?
    Thanks.

2. Sdreed91 macrumors 6502

Is it possible to update them from the computer that they are synced with? Or backup all of there stuff from the original computers itunes, and then import to the computer that you want to update with. Or authorize the computer that you wish to use to update there devices, and then import all of there media into itunes. Hope one of these options helps

3. sueperdave thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't use the original computer that was used.
    Not sure I understand your third option the way it was worded.

4. Pete the Geek, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

Pete the Geek macrumors regular

The advice you received is correct for adding music to the device, syncing apps and transferring files but it is NOT correct for an iOS update.

iTunes will do a backup and restore of the iPod Touch 4G device as part of the iOS update. iTunes backups do not copy music or other media from the device, just playlists, settings and data. Therefore, during the update your music will be removed from the device and since iTunes doesn't have the music files to restore, the music that is on the device will be lost.

If you purchased the music that is on the device, you could use "transfer my purchases" first and that will put the music in your new iTunes library and all will be well with the update. Otherwise, I don't know what to say...

The previous poster was telling you that you can copy the iTunes library from the original computer that was used to sync the music to the iPod Touch 4G devices and put it onto your computer. This assumes that the original computer is available and that someone could do the copy onto an external hard drive.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

there are programs that will copy the music from the ipod to the computer - google "ipod to computer" then you will be able to update.

However, I was wondering why you feel it's necessary to update a 4th gen ipod touch to ios 5?

6. sueperdave thread starter macrumors newbie

I wanted to do it so I could use imessage and facetalk with them when I am away.

7. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Facetime was already available in iOS 4.x; and there are numerous free texting apps out there. If those are really the only reason.

8. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

IF the iPods are jailbroken you can copy the music from them, but if not you'll have to use a special app like iPhone Browser.

9. MaKidzOnYaLip macrumors newbie

You can download and use iRip. iRip copys all of your music to your iTunes. After you finish upgrading to iOS 5 you can just sync the music back on the iPods.. Hope this helps :)

10. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

On another note, can you install IOS 5 over a jailbroken iPod Touch? My iPod Touch was originally set up on my current iMac, and I sync it all the time. But I haven't upgraded to IOS 5 ( I keep ignoring the update message) because I'm jailbroken. Don't know if it will work or if I have to UNjailbreak first.

11. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

You can't "Unjailbreak" you remove the jailbreak by reinstalling the Apple firmware

IF you install iOS 5, you will not be jjailbroken any longer. unless you use the tethered jailbreak but that's a pain in the ass tbh.

12. ezymac macrumors newbie

Use something like iphone explorer and find the files with the music copy them and then restore and add the songs to itunes

13. BrunoWill macrumors member

Yes, you can try to use some tools like iPod Transfer to backup your music to computer. It doesn't matter whether it need to purchase or not. Most of tools have the trail version, and you just need to backup once.:D