Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IanJames007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
I came from the flawed world of Windows Mobile to iPhone and I have to say I'm loving it. BUT there are a couple of GLARING oversites (unless I'm missing a feature...)

When you are on a call and someone gives you a phone number, how the heck can you input it so you can dial it right away? In WM you could go to your home screen while still on the call, punching in the number you're being given, and as soon as the other party hung up (or sooner even) you could dial it.:eek:

Also - why on earth does CALENDAR not "parse" (i believe thats the word) for phone numbers in appointments? Once again in WM land, yu could put an appointment in and a phone number right after it and the phone would recognize that it was a phone number, highlight it in BLUE and have it accessible to simply click it to dial it.:eek:

Don't get me wrong. The iPhone is amazing (except for battery life) but it is a PHONE first and foremost... these are pretty simple phone functionality issues don't you think?:confused:

And please let me know if I'm simly missing something here...

THANKS!

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Home button, Contacts, create new contact.

There's no way to dial a number while you're on the phone short of giving the person you're calling some tones.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I can't remember 10 digits reliably while giving my attention to a conversation, and would really like to know if a feature like that exists. Jotting down numbers like that would be useful.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
you can either add a new contact on the fly or jot it down in the notes app

remember, you can do other things whilst on a call... multitasking ;)

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
You can also access any of the Apple applications during a call. Go into notes, or SMS or contacts or email and write the number down. You can also send it to your self and when you're done, you just have to click on the number and you'll get a prompt if you want to call it. Simple and easy.

IanJames007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Anyway - most of those suggestions, while workable, are not "handy"

In the notepad, you'll notice the phone numbers are not "dialable" from within it. Same with a phone number you jot down in your calendar.

Truly unacceptable from a company that usually thinks of everything.

This is not an oddball request. It's a functionality of nearly every basic cell phone out there.

And IF we are expect to use notepad or something else - the numbers entered should be dialable. Like they are in Safari. It's a strange oversight.

That's at least productive and I'll probably use it until the developers fix it. this functionality WILL come. trust me.

And I guess when it does, apologists like the GENERAL will accept it as a marvel. But guys like him who worship at the altar of Steve Jobs are rarely real-world productive people. Just amateurs with a serious hobby/addiction.

wenglish

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
Even if you jotted the number into some other app (besides contacts), there is NFW to copy/paste the number into contacts.

The iPhone hardware is beautiful, but the software has some significant usability issues, which is a surprise given how much people swoon over the "real" MacOs' interface.

Mike (hoping that Android will be better)

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
Anyway - most of those suggestions, while workable, are not "handy"

In the notepad, you'll notice the phone numbers are not "dialable" from within it. Same with a phone number you jot down in your calendar.

Truly unacceptable from a company that usually thinks of everything.

This is not an oddball request. It's a functionality of nearly every basic cell phone out there.

And IF we are expect to use notepad or something else - the numbers entered should be dialable. Like they are in Safari. It's a strange oversight.

That's at least productive and I'll probably use it until the developers fix it. this functionality WILL come. trust me.

And I guess when it does, apologists like the GENERAL will accept it as a marvel. But guys like him who worship at the altar of Steve Jobs are rarely real-world productive people. Just amateurs with a serious hobby/addiction.

Like many of apples firsts, I guess you can say it has its flaws.
macintosh probably had flaws
iPod probably had MORE flaws
iPhone has flaws

your right. something should be done

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.