Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Hi all, I hope you can help! My mom sent me a picture - it looks like the one below, only for her iPad. I think this is DFU mode? She has a little older iPad, one with a Home button.

1) How did she do this? She has never in her life plugged her iPad into a computer. Just a hunch, could she by chance have done this while pressing Sleep and Home button simultaneously for a hard reset while plugged into a wall charger? Or is there something else she did inadvertently to enter DFU mode (if that is what this is)?

2) How can I talk her through getting her iPad out of DFU mode and restarted back to her Home Page? I'll have to talk her through this over the phone.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 3.33.30 PM.png

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
I got it! I think just a hard reset takes care of it AFTER unplugging the cable?

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
So here's a new twist - by phone my Mom SWEARS that her iPad isn't plugged in. She says she presses Sleep and Home at the same time, and a screen shot like in the first post comes up on her iPad (I know that part is true, she took a photo of it with her phone and emailed me.)

I can't get there physically - what do you think is going on? Is there another way to bring up DFU mode that she is not pressing those two buttons? Is there a way to get out of this state for her? Thanks!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I can't get there physically - what do you think is going on? Is there another way to bring up DFU mode that she is not pressing those two buttons? Is there a way to get out of this state for her? Thanks!

If the system ever gets corrupted, it goes to DFU restore mode automatically, too. That happened to one of my iPhone SE (1st gen) after a failed OTA update.

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Thanks! If that is what is going on, what is the course of action from this point?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks! If that is what is going on, what is the course of action from this point?
The iPad would need to be connected to a computer just as the display shows. Unless there's a more significant hardware failure, the operating system would need to be reinstalled using iTunes or in the Finder if on Catalina, and then the device would need to be restored from backup.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
If the system ever gets corrupted, it goes to DFU restore mode automatically, too. That happened to one of my iPhone SE (1st gen) after a failed OTA update.
I actually never knew that. You learn something new everyday. ?

I wonder if that is why my old iPad 2 was randomly put into DFU mode one day?

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
UPDATE! I made the drive to my mom's house today, and sure enough the picture in post #1 was accurate. I plugged the iPad into my MacBook Pro, and it gave me the option to update or, if that did not work, a restore from backup (there were regular iCloud backups). But good news, the update to iPadOS 14.2 went perfectly, so I didn't need to restore a backup; the iPad is back in good shape!

This gave me a chance to see what model iPad she had since I didn't know - it was an iPad Air 2. It does seem like an OS update got interrupted for some reason, user or otherwise. Case solved! Thanks for all your comments and help!

Reactions: Cybertox

Cybertox

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2020
Switzerland
UPDATE! I made the drive to my mom's house today, and sure enough the picture in post #1 was accurate. I plugged the iPad into my MacBook Pro, and it gave me the option to update or, if that did not work, a restore from backup (there were regular iCloud backups). But good news, the update to iPadOS 14.2 went perfectly, so I didn't need to restore a backup; the iPad is back in good shape!

This gave me a chance to see what model iPad she had since I didn't know - it was an iPad Air 2. It does seem like an OS update got interrupted for some reason, user or otherwise. Case solved! Thanks for all your comments and help!

Glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue at hand and help your mom out. Well done!

Personally, I have never entered DFU mode on any of my Apple devices by accident.

Reactions: donawalt

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
@Cybertox my guess is she did a hard reset when she picked it up and it was doing an OS update. She loves hard reset if she sees something she doesn't recognize lol. Now maybe it was frozen, as it should do updates automatically overnight - but it's entirely possible she charges it sometimes during the day because she doesn't bother to plug it in at night, and it needs to be off battery for an auto update from what I read.

So it all worked for her!
Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 4.31.16 PM.png

Cybertox

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2020
Switzerland
@Cybertox my guess is she did a hard reset when she picked it up and it was doing an OS update. She loves hard reset if she sees something she doesn't recognize lol. Now maybe it was frozen, as it should do updates automatically overnight - but it's entirely possible she charges it sometimes during the day because she doesn't bother to plug it in at night, and it needs to be off battery for an auto update from what I read.

So it all worked for her!
View attachment 1552232

The scenario you described is most probably what has happened. However, I would advise her against doing so. Using hard reset at every possible opportunity might end up not being so beneficial for the device and its longevity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.