Help!... How do I clean the shininess off the keyboard...?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by yukaa, Dec 19, 2008.

1. yukaa macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    it's finally snowing here in Jersey, woo! ^_^

okay, back to my question:
    I've had my precious macbook for just about a year and I've noticed that certain keys, i.e., the spacebar, the left shift key, and the letters j, k and the mouse section have finger oils/shininess on them...
    I have cleaned it with iKlear and I brought a protective track film that covers the mouse track and the bottom button.
    What else would you suggest?
    Before I even use "boo" (my macbook) I wash my hands and I do not let anyone use it anymore...

thanks for reading and I hope you can provide suggestions!

:apple:

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I use alcohol on mine. Works like a charm.

Might want to edit your title so people know what your thread is about.

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

You can also try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean any grunge off your MB and the keys. Works really well. Use a minimal amount of water on the Magic Eraser and only clean around the trackpad and a light touch on the keys as it will rub the lettering off...

4. danvan21 macrumors regular

will that work for a black keyboard?

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

It's wear on the keyboard, there's nothing really that you can do unless you want it to be all shiny?

6. ebika macrumors 6502

I have one of these for my mbp: http://www.iskin.com/products_mac.tpl . If you're borderline OCD or more, the iskin cover is the way to go. Otherwise, put down the bag of potato chips and learn to love the worn-smooth finish of your well used keyboard. ;)

7. Camoischaos macrumors member

What it is, is wear on the finish they use on the blackbooks. There isnt really much that i know of that you can do to fix this issue.

8. yukaa thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Do you have an actual picture of those keyboard skins on the laptop? And does it affect how the thing closes?

10. ebika macrumors 6502

If you close the lid with the skin on the keyboard, it leaves smush marks on the display. Whenever I need to close the laptop I just take the skin off the keyboard first (it just lays over the keys, no effort to lift it off). The skin itself is made of this squishy rubbery material, so you can just cram it into a bag next to the laptop with no problem. I can take a picture of it a little later.