Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
When leopard came out they put in the new version of Spotlight which doesn't search files in the system folder! I installed the pithhelemt extension for safari, and it totally messed up safari's ability to close any windows. So now I have to uninstall it, but now there's no way to search for files within the sytem folder!

This is so lame! I need to search my system folder to be able to uninstall bad programs!

Help!

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
This lets you add folders to the spotlight index :

SpotlightIndexer

Even when I added the system folder, spotlight still doesn't return any results for files that are in there.

Hi,

I use EasyFind for occasional off-the-track searches.

/Rupert

YES!!! That worked perfectly! Thank you!!!

I used EasyFind to search for "pith" and it found all the pithhelmet files in the system folder, and a couple of associated files I searched for, and I restarted and safari was fixed!

Thank you!

To anyone considering installing pith helmet, don't do it. It's website says it's compatible with leopard, but it isn't, it completely messed up safari's ability to close windows. And the bug wasn't even listed in pithelmet's website's list of 'known bugs.' And it has no uninstaller, and it has no info on the website about how to unintall it. And since it's not an application, rather it's a hack that changes the behavior of another application, there's no application icon to just drag to the trash. I even mailed the developer and told him his code seriously messed up my safari and asked how to uninstall it, and he didn't even write back. Use pith helmet at your own risk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.