HELP! How Do I Get To Phone Number FAVORITES Quickly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boltjames, Jun 25, 2010.

1. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

On my 3G, I double-click the home button and up comes my list of phone number favorites. The wife, the friends, the office, the Chinese food.

On my iP4, I double-click the home button and up comes the multitasking bar.

How can I quickly get to phone number favorites on the iP4?

TIA

BJ

2. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Its gone, which is annoying as hell. I used the double tap all the time, even to just go into the Phone part of the phone and dial a number, it wasnt just for Favorites. I hate that its gone.

3. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Wait. You can't set that option under settings>general>home button anymore?

4. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68040

boltjames

No way. Wow, what a mistake.

I can't even understand if an app is running in the background or not. When I double-click the home button now I get a bunch of apps that I'm not using. Are they active in the background and eating resources? Do I need to do anything like close them down there?

BJ

5. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

When you double-click the home button and it brings up the multi-tasking bar, ALL of those apps are open. They're not necessarily taking up resources, but they are open. To close them just touch and hold an icon the same way you would do if you wanted to delete an app, a little ( - ) symbol will appear above the icon, click it to close the app.

6. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Click the Home button, hit the Phone app, click Favorites. Before it took 2 taps now it takes 3.

7. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68040

boltjames

Driving in the car at 80 MPH, I can double-click without looking at the 3G and know I'm in Favorites.

Now, I have to look at the iP4, find the Phone icon, hit Phone, find the Favorites icon, hit Favorites.

Not the same thing. Instead of taking my eyes off the road for 2 seconds to see which Favorite to tap, I now need to take my eyes off the road for 2 seconds x 3.

BJ

8. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68040

boltjames

See, this drives me crazy. In a given week, I might use 25 different apps. So how do I know which ones are:

a. Open and eating resources?

b. Open and not eating resources?

c. Closed?

Are you saying I need to double-click the home button every time I am done with an app to 'close' it properly in order to assure the very best use of RAM?

BJ

9. SiftWinnow macrumors member

Or if Favorites was left up the last time you visited the Phone app, it will come right up so you're back to the same two taps--albeit now one is the Home button and the other is the Favorites icon.

10. UCF-ENG macrumors regular

Correction, before it was TWO steps: double click home, pick number, now it is FOUR steps: click home, tap phone (you have to look to do this), tap favorites (you have to look to do this), pick number. There is absolutely NO excuse for removing FUNCTIONALITY from a device when it is so EASY to add back in.

Single click and hold... It currently does NOTHING, assign that to be the favorites, it's that simple to fix.

11. bigkito macrumors regular

they should let u choose Favorites when you triple click, like the accessibility options

12. SiftWinnow macrumors member

Again, if you leave Favorites up, you don't have to click it again after choosing the Phone app. So before it was double-click home, choose number; now it is click home, touch Phone app., choose number--if you leave the Favorites up when you leave the Phone app.

13. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

Then learn to use the voice activation. I use mine walking down the street all the time, and it's really accurate probably 95% of the time.

14. quotison macrumors member

I don't know well how it works in practice yet, but I think the idea is that you don't need to close apps - they'll just be in a 'saved state' which uses very minimal memory (unless you have them doing something like play audio). The intention is that you do not have to manually close apps at all.

15. cirial macrumors regular

Single click and hold = voice control :rolleyes:

16. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

So basically you advocate breaking the law x2?

You are both speeding, and driving while talking on the phone which is illegal in many places now lol.

I'm sure apple will read this post and realize they MUST bring that feature back, can't make it too hard to drive and talk on the phone o_O

You also realize you could go with the SUPER simple option...

Hold the home button get voice command...

Say Call Douchebag.

Wala... 1 button press.

17. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

If they're using resources, you'd know it. If an app is using your location, there's an icon in the status bar. If the app is playing music in the background, you'd hear it. If the app is downloading in the background, it'll be forced to stop after 10 minutes. If an app is in saved state, well, it's frozen, and isn't eating up any resources.

This is why apple's multitasking tray is unlike a task manager. It's more of a tray of shortcuts than a list of apps that are open and eating up ram and CPU.

No need to stress.

18. wentwj macrumors regular

I am a developer, and it is admittedly not very clear to users, but no, you do not need to close apps.

Apps do not "run" in the background in a traditional sense, minus a few exceptions, such as pandora (which plays audio), and skype (which takes incoming calls). The double tap app list is just your recent apps. An application is given a brief amount of time to finish tasks like downloading in the background/ect, but your random game/app will NOT be using ANY resources in the background.

Applications "save state" when they get quickly closed, and are restored to this same state, but it's not consuming resources like a running app on your desktop/laptop.

Basically unless you explicitly told an app to do something (download something, play audio, take incoming calls, ect), NO resources are used.

19. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Okay, but still it's pretty simple. I guess I don't use the phone enough to think it's that big of a hassle. I agree that double-click + hold should be Favorites but until (if) it's fixed I don't see this being a big problem. To go from typing this to the Phone takes no time at all, about 2 seconds max.

As for using during driving 80mph... That's illegal. I wouldn't use that as an argument. If you NEED to call someone at that point then use Voice Control, that way you never have to take tour eyes off the road.

20. Ironworker808 macrumors regular

Probably not what you are looking for, but here is a possible alternative.

OneTapDial.

Pay $.99 one time and create as many speed dials as you want. You can even use pics from your library so you can have their faces in the icon. You can also name them how you chose. Be it their name, nickname, pet name, douchebag, etc.

No, I don't work for them, just think it's a great app.

21. fiddlestyx macrumors 6502

Seriously, typically works like a charm.

22. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68040

boltjames

Yeah, because everyone drives 55 mph and no one taps a keyboard to dial a cellphone while driving.

Not sure what planet you live on, but your personal attack has been reported.

BJ

23. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

And if you leave the Phone app in the Favorites screen, then it's only 2 taps!

24. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68040

boltjames

LOL. Just came off the 3G for 2 years. Had no idea this feature existed.

When I'm purring along at 97 mph, will the road/wind noise interfere or do you find that it's rock-solid in all extreme audio conditions?

BJ

25. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

lol wow, someone can't take a joke... you think I don't speed, or text and drive like everyone else.

take a chill pill menz.

Please inform me where this "personal attack" was.

The only "insult" was saying Call Douchebag. so unless you for some reason got the impression that I was advocating putting your number in your iphone as douchebag and then using voice dial to call yourself for fun, I fail to see how that's an insult to you.