Help! How do I remove audio from .TS video and import into iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JolieCat, Sep 22, 2011.

1. JolieCat macrumors newbie

This is such a mess. I got some old 8mm film transferred to DVD and forgot to tell them to NOT add a music track as I am going to import it into iMovie as part of an overall video for a project I'm doing.

So now I have music (instrumental of "I Just Called to Say I Love You" -- gak!) on about 1 minute of video that I need to remove entirely.

After many hours of searching I finally got the .TS file converted into .mp4 video format and imported into iMovie, but when I put it into my project and played it, of course the audio came with it. I tried muting it, taking volume down to zero, putting my own music on top of it to drown it out, and nothing worked. Obviously I am going to have to remove the audio at the source, unless there's a way to remove it from the converted .mp4 file.

Does anybody know how to do this? Help! Thank you!

Jo

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

I thought you could extract audio in iMovie?

Run that MP4 file through MPEG Streamclip and export it with "no sound". Could have used that program also to rip the DVD...

3. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

If you have QuickTime 7 Pro installed, you can press :apple:-J and turn off the audio track. Then save the file as a movie (container) and iMovie should ignore the audio track.

The other choice is to bring the footage into Handbrake (http://www.handbrake.fr/) and export the footage, changing your audio track to "None".

4. JolieCat, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

JolieCat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both for responding.

I just ran it through Streamclip and exported it as an MP4 with no sound. Everything was fine until I tried to save it as an MP4, then the error message said "cannot create file."

I'll try exporting it with all the other formats and maybe one will work.

?

Jo

UPDATE!!! OK It worked when I exported it as .avi with no sound and I just imported into iMovie with no problem.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Where is the clip when you are trying to alter the audio? With a clip in a Project, you should be able to either Mute or Detach the audio via the Clip menu

6. JolieCat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Dave, aarond, and cgbier. I just got it imported using streamclip and deleting the audio track from the File menu, and then saving it as .avi and importing it into iMovie. Everything worked!

Thanks!

Jo

7. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Why AVI? That's a Windows container. Just use Quicktime Movie with a jpeg compression or AIC when exporting from Streamclip. Gives you the least hassle.

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

iMovie uses the Apple Intermediate Codec(AIC), so exporting from MPEGStreamclip as AIC saves another conversion and subsequent loss of quality.