Help! How do I share files from MBP to iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kelleymozelak, Aug 1, 2013.

1. kelleymozelak macrumors newbie

Hi -
    I am trying to share my "pages" and "word" files from my iMac to my macbook pro and vice versa. Is this possible? I thought this was available when you are on the same Wifi network. Is anyone is willing to help me?! Please and thank you in advance!

2. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Depending on the age of the two Macs you may be able to use Airdrop to share between the two. If it's available it will show on the left hand side of a Finder window or as an option under the Go menu in Finder. Both Macs will need to have Wifi turned on in order to see each other.

If Airdrop isn't available you can still share between the two Macs as long as they're on the same network. On both machines go to System Preferences > Sharing and check "File Sharing". Now when you see each Mac show up in the left hand side of Finder windows, under "Shared", you should be able to select the Mac, click on "Connect As" and enter the administrator name/password for the other Mac. Once you've entered the proper name & password the other Mac's hard drive should show up and be browsable on your desktop.

Another option you might consider is using Dropbox to share files between the two Macs. You can download Dropbox onto each Mac, login to your Dropbox account and within a minute or so both Macs will see your Dropbox contents. Adding a file to or editing a file in your Dropbox will result in the changed file showing up on your other Mac within a few seconds.

3. kelleymozelak thread starter macrumors newbie

yes - i do have Airdrop

----------

thank you mr rabbit!

4. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Awesome! You should be able to see your other Mac in the Airdrop window, when you drop a file onto it you will get a notification on the other Mac asking to accept or deny. Should be fairly straight forward.