Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RainerTan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2003
I have a BW G3 powermac that does not have the u bracket but three slots for internal hardrives. I just added a secound hardrive taken from an identical computer, but it won't start up because the're bnoth master hardrives.

How do i turn the new hardrive into a slave drive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
On the back of most HDs there are some jumpers. On the top or the back should be a diagram on how to set the different settings. The General Consensus is to place the slave on the ribben between the Master and the Computer. However either way it shuld work. Also with certain chip-sets, for non-Wintel machines, to have multiple drives, you must set both to cable select, however it was more of a proble with the Mac clones, and all-in-one systems.

TEG

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
Generally there are dipswitches somewhere on the drive (often in the back, near the IDE interface point). Most drives have a diagram of the settings. Drives can be set as Master-Slave-Cable Select. You want your boot drive set as the Master and the one you intend to use as a Slave set as that. You can also look at the manufacturer's website for info on diswitch settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.