HELP!!! how do you run powerpc apps on an intel mac???????

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cky923, Dec 25, 2008.

1. cky923 macrumors member

i recently received emedia piano/keyboard method for christmas
    it is made for ppc how can i run it on my new macbook?????

THANK YOU

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It should run in Rosetta. Some applications are too old to run, though.

3. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

No App is to old, it just won't run on Rosetta. Chances are if its not Rosetta compatible it doesn't NEED to run on Rosetta.

If its Mac os 9 however, your stuck.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

It should run for you via Rosetta (no need to configure, it works automatically), albeit with a possible performance hit due to it being a non-Intel application. :)

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OP, have you actually tried to run it yet to see if it will work?
    Or are you just assuming it won't?

Try it and see... then let us know

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. cky923 thread starter macrumors member

how should i go about using it, because it has just said that it is not compatible with the arcitecture or something like that

7. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

Does the PPC version of SimCity that's sold in Apple Stores run under Rosetta? Sorry if this hijacks the thread a little...but wondered b/c I thought about buying it since the chances of a future port are largely slim.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Simply install it the same way you would install any other program for Mac OS X. It should work fine for you. :)

Yes, it does run under Rosetta - just slower than on a PowerPC based Mac. :)

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Despite what some are claiming, there are numerous older PPC-only _audio_ specific programs that will not work satisfactorily on Intel Macs. Some of these older OSX PPC _audio_ program won't even install on Intel system unless you do a bit of hacking to the installer files. On such programs, even if you do manage to get them to install they still may not run smoothly, e.g. the audio might sputter, crack, skip and otherwise sound terrible under Rosetta. Most of these troublesome audio programs date pre-2006, but you will still find some of these older (PPC only) version audio programs "bundled" with audio equipment that's still available for sale at some stores or online merchants. In other words, "old stock" is still being sold, which may include some PPC audio software that won't work 100% on an Intel Mac.

Most manufacturers have updated their software since the Intel transition, and many offer updated versions that will work with Intel machines. Check with the software maker for an updated version. Some offer free updates, others charge for it, etc.

10. cky923 thread starter macrumors member

I tried
    [​IMG]

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Your best bet is probably to check the eMedia site regarding compatibility, or email their support section if you can't find any answers online. You may just need to download an update...