Help! how to convert a jpg to a word/ pages document.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by reynins, Oct 7, 2012.

1. reynins, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

reynins macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have no clue how to do it. I tried using automator but it would just bring out the text. I also have pictures on it too. If someone could help that would be awesome!!! =) oops sorry I put this in the wrong thread.

2. switon macrumors 6502a

Ocr...

Hi reynins,

A jpg is a pixel-based, compressed, image (picture) format. A word/pages document is a character-based (text) format. To convert a jpg to a doc or pages format requires what is called optical character recognition (OCR) software. These apps scan the image and use special algorithms to convert the image of a character into that character's ASCII code, i.e., convert the image to text. These OCR programs depend upon language patterns and statistics to aid in their conversion to text, and they work fairly well but are not 100% accurate. Many OCRs also will "extract" the actual images (photographs) from the jpg, so they provide both the text and the pictures.

There are a number of OCRs to choose from, some free, some expensive. You can Google for OCR or optical charachter recognition to find these applications. Several of them have free trial periods where you can try them for a few days to see if they will work on your jpg images.

Good luck,
    Switon