HELP~~ How to crete a "my computer" shortcut on the mac desktop???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Terrifiedz, May 29, 2010.

1. Terrifiedz macrumors newbie

Terrifiedz

Hi,

i just bought a mac yesterday and today i was wondering if anybody knows how to create a "my computer" shortcut on the desktop?:confused:

Thanks a million =D

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There is no "My Computer" folder in OS X. To make an alias to a folder, highlight the folder and press Command + L. You can then drag the alias to the Desktop.

3. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

That, or just click on the left most icon in the dock.

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

5. apple.gr macrumors regular

In Finder press Finder Preferences then choose tab general and check Hard Discs. By that you will have your Macintosh HD in your Desktop

6. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

isnt "my computer" analogous to "macintosh hd," which is already on the desktop?

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

If you are looking for information about the hard disk, right click it (control/click) then click "get info"... that will open a window with information about the HD...

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Just click the finder icon in the dock. All of your drives will be listed on the left side of the window.

That left pane of the Finder window is pretty much the closest thing on a Mac to "My Computer."

9. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

It's not on the desktop anymore by default.

10. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

The dock has a 'Finder' icon. Click on it and Finder pops open if it isn't! Magic!

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, the Macintosh HD is exactly that: a hard drive, just like any other drive, physical or logical, that you mount. It would be the Mac equivalent of the C: drive. "My Computer" is a Windows thing, and doesn't have a direct equivalent in Mac OS X. In the Finder window, on the top left, the name of your computer (like My MacBook Pro) would be more analogous to My Computer, in that it would list the devices attached, etc. System Profiler would have some of the equivalent info, but far more detail than My Computer would have.

For the OP: Mac OS X is an OS, like Windows is an OS. They do share some things in common. However, you're better off just allowing yourself to learn how Mac OS X works, rather than try to tie everything back to the Windows experience. There aren't always going to be direct parallels between them.

12. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

as mentioned before there is no "my computer" equivalent in OSX, but if you want to access your hard drive or files or something, which is what My Computer is usually used for, then set the finder to show the Macintosh HD drive on the desktop by going into the finder, and then clicking "Finder" up in the menubar, and the "preferences". in the general tab there is an option to show hard disks on the desktop. click that and Macintosh HD will appear as an icon on your desktop.