HELP:how to fix mp3 tags and remove dupes on iTunes???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tooshaggy, Apr 23, 2009.

1. tooshaggy macrumors regular

tooshaggy

I have a huge music library, and a lot of the song tags include the song name, artist, and album all in the title of the song. Is there a program to fix this??
    I also have a ton of duplicates that I need removed.
    Mac only please!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. chkdg8 macrumors 6502

My question is how does one prevent itunes from making dupes all together though? What I do is once I import my mp3s to my imac, I open up itunes, add to library and then delete my original mp3s. Is this the proper way of handling my music? Even though I've been on a mac for 2 years now, I had a creative Zen Vision M on my Windows machine so I never used itunes as I do now especially with podcasts and my iphone. So I've been managing my music solely with itunes for the past month.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced

Uncheck the option shown below.

Only you can decide what's proper for you.

Attached Files:

4. chkdg8 macrumors 6502

Thank you miles but I just don't understand after reading conflicting info on different forums. Here's the deal. I have my entire itunes library consolidated and on an external HDD so if I were to leave that option unchecked then how would itunes recognize my mp3s if I delete them off my mac?

5. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

Try using Media Monkey. Let me know if you have questions from there.

6. munshi macrumors newbie

it seems that media monkey is a windows only software, but it seems a great piece of software if there is something like that for mac

7. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

My apologies, I use it for the PC, totally forgot you need it for Mac. Let me get back to you on that.

8. chkdg8 macrumors 6502

No problem. Thanks for your input!

9. Feek macrumors member

For sorting out music identifying and tagging, TuneUp is excellent. I was really keen to get all my genres sorted within iTunes and it's done it nicely for me - It makes it so much easier to make good [smart] playlists with well tagged music.

10. paikinho macrumors newbie

Tune Up doesn't work with PPC

Tune up would be great but the original poster has a g5 mac. Tune up won't work with ppc.