Help! How to get rid of the data plan for iphone 3gs?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mimidoudou, Oct 6, 2010.

1. mimidoudou macrumors newbie

I do not need the data plan. but how can I get rid of the data plan from ATT? anybody knows? thanks a lot!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't think you can on AT&T. Maybe a prepaid SIM, but I doubt it.

3. mimidoudou thread starter macrumors newbie

My friend told me to insert the iphone 3gs SIMs card to a non-3G phone and ATT will detect it and cancel the data plan, but I am not sure if this is true or not?

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes it is true, and as soon as you get your SIM card back into your iphone they will put it back in. That is exactly the reason why you cannot get rid of it, as soon as the system detect an Iphone (or an smartphone) it will change the data plan

5. mimidoudou thread starter macrumors newbie

Which means if I never put the SIMs card back to the iphone and they will never charge me the data plan fee, right?

6. mimidoudou thread starter macrumors newbie

BTW, does anybody try that if I insert the iphone SIM card to a NON-3G phone, does the wireless service still work except no data service?

7. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

You will get what ever data service the device supports.
    A 3G SIM will still work in a non-3G device, you will just get EDGE data if the device supports it.

An iPhone SIM card is no different than any other AT&T SIM card. ;)
    (Excluding the iPhone 4's micro-SIM) Functionally it's the same as a regular SIM, it's just smaller.

8. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

You still have to cancel the data plan... AT&T will not remove it unless you tell them too.

But the moment you stick the SIM card into any device that falls under AT&T's mandatory data plan policy, they will add it back.

9. mimidoudou thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot!

10. mimidoudou thread starter macrumors newbie

But how to tell them to cancel the data plan? I just call them and they said the data plan will be active as long as the service is active. Can I just say I damaged my iphone?:p

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't think AT&T will cancel it, even if you call and ask them to remove it.

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

They will if you put the SIM in a dumb phone.
    Just call and tell them you no longer have an iPhone and would like to drop the data plan.

Just know that the system will automatically add it back if you use the SIM with any phone that AT&T requires a data plan for.

13. mimidoudou thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know how long I can call them to drop the data plan once I activite the phone?

14. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

If you plan on keeping the iphone there's no way to remove it permanently from your account

15. mimidoudou thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to put the SIM card to a old non 3G phone (no data services) and give it to my daughter and give the iphone as a ipod to my friend.

Is that true I can call ATTto drop the data plan and anybody know how long I have to keep the data plan once I buy the phone?

16. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

If you plan on giving the phone away then yes the data plan will not go back onto your account. If you can canel the data plan before your next billing period then you should just have to pay for that month.

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You need to keep the data plan for 24 months after you sign the contract.

18. mimidoudou thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you !

19. SqB macrumors 6502

You can try this...

Put the sim in a dumb phone. Call to have the data plan removed. Tell them you're giving the phone to one of your kids and you want a WIX block (no data use allowed). Wait until this is all done and then put the sim back in the iphone.

I have no idea if this will work for you, but I gave one of my kids an iphone and since there was already a WIX block on his line, the automatic data plan add-on never happened. Now, that block has been on since 2006 when I bought him his first phone so YMMV. I'm sure the data plan might show up one day, and I'll pay for it if it does, but it hasn't in the 6+ months he's been using it.

Never mind, I was typing while the above clarification was being entered.

20. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Wrong! You can cancel the data plan at anytime if you plan on switching it back to a non-smartphone.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Once you put the sim back in the iPhone it will detect it and add the iPhone data plan. You can use an iPhone with no data on prepaid AT&T sims or on Tmobile.