[Help] How to partition my hard-drive in Mac 10.4/Tiger PPC?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HalleluYAH, Feb 16, 2009.

1. HalleluYAH macrumors newbie

Please tell me how to partition a hard drive, so I can boot a my Leopard image-file from a separate partition. Thanks in advance to anyone of you, who has enough patience & time to guide me through to complete this common task.

I did the follow things so far to make a separate partition for my disk-image (Leopard Installer):
    1. Launched Disk-Utility on Tiger 10.4.11 OS X.
    2. Clicked on my hard-drive (149.1 GB).
    3. Selected "Partition" in that menu (seen above the Volume Information).
    4. Selected "2 Partitions" from the "Volume Scheme drop-down menu".

--here's where I noticed the problem--

I noticed all of the options I need to choose between are "grayed-out", here (what should I do to make the partition at least 8GB or larger now?):
    [​IMG]

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

See the last line in the description that shows up in the picture you have posted to the effect you can't partition the disk since it contains the startup volume. In Tiger, you can't shrink the partition size of a boot drive (out of which the current system is running).

Your best bet is to get an external firewire drive, or use the DVD to install Leopard.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

As was mentioned, use the DVD. If you don't have one, then go buy your software. I'm sorry, but that's not sounding very legit to me.

Plus, as the previous poster mentioned, you won't be able to do it anyways.

jW

4. HalleluYAH thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks BobZune. I appreciate you helping me. I have to get an external drive.

Mal, I own the software. There's no need to buy the disk when it's with me.

5. borcanm macrumors regular

I wanted to do the same and used the Tiger DVD as the startup disk and tried to partition, but it told me all data on the HD would be lost so i stopped.