Help! How to reinstall Mail and Safari?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ahmac, Nov 4, 2008.

1. ahmac macrumors newbie

Hi,

I accidentally dragged some applications along with some files into thetrash and emptied the trash.

Now my Mail and Safari Icons have a question mark over it, and I cannot open up Mail or Safari.

I need help figuring out what is the best way to reinstall without having to reload the entire set of system software.

Thanks for your help.

Alex

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you have a Time Machine backup, go drag the icons back from there.

If not, you should be able to use a program called Pacifist (plus your reinstall discs) to just install those programs.

3. Hydroxs macrumors regular

Can you use the installer discs and use the optional installs installer?

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Mail isn't in the optional installer.

5. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

No you are right what I would do is find another computer and download the programs from apple.com and then save them to either a disk or a flash drive if you have one available Then take them and put them on your computer.

I have done this and it works

6. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Safari is available on the Apple website but I have never seen Mail as a downloadable application. You may have to connect an external hard drive and run Time Machine. After doing so you may need to reinstall the system software and then restore the last back up from Time Machine.

7. ahmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies. I was able to find both programs in the install discs. It was very simple. I just had to click custom install on the options.