HELP - How to remove iPhone 5 case wear

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AJay81, Jan 24, 2015.

1. AJay81, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015

AJay81 macrumors newbie

Purchased an iPhone 5 second hand that was in a diamond-printed case and left marks that I can't remove. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It looks like it has damaged the finish of the metal and glass.

What have you tried so far?

3. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Wow, wonder if it's abrasion or just oils from the plastic. This is probably a good use for Mr. Clean eraser. Scrub gently and see if they start to fade. Glass and the anodized surface are pretty hard so I think you have a good chance.

4. AJay81 thread starter macrumors newbie

On the black glass portion only I've used a microfiber cloth with a dab of water, I didn't want to try anything else before asking.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Looks like damage to the anodization coating. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about it. Some members just touch up with a marker but this was with Black and Slate iPhone 5 and hence easier to color match.

Definitely one of the situations where cases do more harm than good and I've seen quite a few of them in that condition on ebay.

6. AJay81 thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope this isn't the case...I don't get the logic in people buying expensive phones with cheap $5 cases for them.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It doesn't necessarily have to do with the case itself. If stuff gets in the case it's liable to do some damage to the anodization coating, no matter how expensive the case is.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Only way to fix that is to put a new back chassis on it or get a nice case for it.

9. Wackadoo macrumors newbie

This. Seen it too many times people's iPhones actually getting more damaged by a case then if they'd used none.
    I never use a case and never have an issue.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

To be honest the glass looks scuffed and the aluminum looks like the anodized surface has been damaged.