Help! How to restore a tethered jailbroken iPhone w/o losing info

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by meemeeshekel, Jul 23, 2010.

1. meemeeshekel macrumors newbie

I jailbroke my iphone 3g using cyadia and blackrain. Since its a tethered jailbreak I have to make sure that it doesnt turn off or else I will have to restore. This happened to me once and I tried to restore it on my own and lost all the info on my phone. Yesterday for some reason I was low on battery and it shut down. I have no idea what to do now. Its says to plug in to itunes. Do I click restore through itunes ? (will i lose info?) or do I click on blackra1n. I would really appreciate any help since I'm definitely not iphone savvy. Thank you.

2. DaveAmbler macrumors member

DaveAmbler

Providing your computer has a recent backup stored, you should be able to restore to the backup and not lose any data.

3. Piesia macrumors newbie

no, STOP! doesn't anyone read the directions?

Dave, he asked specifically about blackra1n.

OK, DON'T restore, you WILL lose everything (yes, iTunes should have been regularly backing up your phone, but there's no guarantee that it did. IF it did, you would be able to recover the backed up data -- which is NOT necessarily current -- as Dave suggested).

Simply rerun blackra1n another time to get your phone back. With all your data -- NO restore needed, NO recovery.

PLEASE DON'T USE PROGRAMS LIKE BLACKRA1N IF YOU CAN'T OR WON'T READ THE DIRECTIONS! YOU'RE JUST GOING TO HAVE PROBLEMS.

I'd have suggested one of the newer NON-tethered jailbreaks, but that's a separate issue.

Good luck!

P.

4. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

When your phone is plugged in and showing the connect to itunes screen just run blackra1n again.
    You do not need to restore, though if you have SHSH's for either 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 you can restore then JB with Spirit to have an untethered JB.