HELP! - how to retrieve my documents

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adambest, Dec 27, 2010.

1. adambest macrumors newbie

Oh dear - following another thread a fed in in an rm command into terminal to try and force empty the trash on my iMac (running 10.5.8) and suddenly I was emptying everything of the desktop (except the hard drive) and my documents folder instead. I turned the computer off and on again and seem to have stopped the process at the Ws. But two questions: might the terminal command still be eating away at everything I've ever done - and might I be able to recover all data from A-V! Starting the new year with nothing in my home folder is t the new start I was looking for... Many thanks...

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Nope. It is gone.

You do have a backup, right?

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

You _might_ be able to get some of it back with data recovery software like "DataRescue3" or "Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery".

I'm guessing that you're still using the drive on which the software disappeared. This will make recovery problematical because you may already have overwritten some of the deleted files.

You original post is a prime example of why folks should STAY AWAY from Terminal unless they know what they're doing. I'm not very knowledgeable in it myself, and I seldom use it for exactly that reason.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

People don't realize that once you get into Terminal and start entering commands you can very easily result in an awful mess.

Another thing that newbies mess up with alarming frequency is changing permissions where they shouldn't.