(Help) How To Save Mavericks Properly Before Installing Yosemite Beta

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Izis, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Izis macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'd like to know what's the best way to save my OS X 10.8.4 before trying Yosemite beta.

I think it's Time Machine ? So I make a save on Time Machine, then if I want to go back to Mavericks from Yosemite what will I have to do ? Is it a fast & clean process ?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A Cloned image is the best option. Get Carbon Copy Cloner, and then you can clone your recovery partition and main drive.

3. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

Just so that you know, 10.8.4 is *NOT* Mavericks, it is Mountain Lion or ML as some call it. An installation of Mavericks will be 10.9.X.

If you are trying to save 10.8.4 (Mountain Lion), the backup procedure would still be the same.

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

My current recommendation if you want to play with Yosemite is to install it to an external USB drive.

This way you can leave your current system alone and not have to worry about breaking anything. Heck, if your main system drive is encrypted, you don't even have to give Yosemite access to it at all.

I've been doing this on my laptop, testing Yosemite running off a Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 32GB flash drive. It actually runs nearly as fast as Mavericks from the internal SSD!

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Time Machine will work just fine for this. Just make a good TM backup and set it aside. Then if you want to go back just option key boot to the TM disk and you will get a recovery screen. From there use Disk Util to erase the entire disk then click restore. Done.