iPad Help - how to watch live football

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nhwhazup, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Okay, so I don't have Slingbox. Is there a foolproof way to watch my Patriots live when traveling in the car? I've tried justintv but no go.

2. hologram macrumors 6502

If you plan on watching TV while driving, you've got bigger problems than not getting the Patriots. :eek:

3. Che Castro macrumors 603

Just listen to the game on the radio , you don't want to crash the car watching a video

4. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Not sure how both of you got he was driving out of "while traveling in the car" :confused: y'all do know there's these things called passenger seats in automobiles, right?

ESPN Watch, the NFL app, or CBS Sports app. Try those. Should get you most of the games.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes. Be a passenger, not the driver.

6. Nhwhazup thread starter macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Hehe - you guys are too funny. Of course, I'd be the passenger watching the game. Although I'm sure there's some that might try to drive and watch but not me.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

I've seen attachments that plug into the connector on the iPad that turns it into a TV. However, this depends on the game being broadcast locally. Otherwise you would need a cellular iPad, and I'd imagine the game would eat up your monthly data plan very quickly.

8. Nhwhazup thread starter macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

The only option I can see is to buy an additional package. My local cable doesn't participate with CBS Sports. It's not often when we are away from a TV during football time but it does happen. And you would think it would be easy to stream. Well maybe I'll ask Santa for a Slingbox. I have one of the original unlimited monthly cellular plans so streaming is not a problem.

9. JGWolven macrumors regular

If Slingbox allows you to watch football that's pretty cool. The only way I'm familiar with is if you have NFL Ticket from DirectTV. Even if you don't have DTV, you can watch any game anywhere.

10. Nhwhazup thread starter macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I have to check the details but I think Slingbox connects directly to you home TV and you can watch anything from your iPad or iPhone that you could watch from home, TV or even DVR recordings.

11. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Yes, a Slingbox works great. The Slingbox 350 is the one I use and it has come in handy on numerous occasions. Able to stream any channel or DVR recordings and has apps for the iPad and iPhone.

12. mhdena macrumors 6502

Help - how to watch live football

I have Dish Network hopper with sling

I can watch Redzone, or any other channel a game is on with my Dish Anywhere App

I imagine you'll need something similar

----------

Oh and the NFL Network has an App that shows the Red Zone, so you may not need a sling, you'll just have to log in once with your provider that carries the NFL Network

13. Nhwhazup thread starter macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Yeah, as my cable carrier doesn't have an option, it'll most likely need to be Slingbox. But after how bad the Patriots played today, maybe I really don't want to watch. :(

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Aereo if you have or can use a Boston address. You can also use on your iPhone and Mac/PC.

15. Nhwhazup thread starter macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

This would be great if it was available for more than only home viewing area.

16. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Not sure I follow. It works on an iPad and iPhone on LTE (in car for passenger viewing). Isn't this what you are asking for?

17. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

How will you get the game streamed while in your car. I assume you have cellular

18. TmanATL macrumors member

Aereo isn't supposed to work outside of your home market. Very annoying but I think they do it to try to keep Aereo legal. So if you have Aereo in Boston and you travel outside of the Boston metro tv market area, Aereo won't allow you to watch live tv anymore (or even what you've already recorded!)

You might want to look into Simple.TV -- there are good deals out there for the original hardware and lifetime subscription included. You hook up your own antenna and harddrive to the simple.tv and then it can stream anywhere in the world with no restrictions. They have an iPad app.

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

OP said home viewing and not home market. Also I have used Aereo on my iPad 200 miles from Atlanta with no problem.

20. Nhwhazup thread starter macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I'm really not a TV addict but it's just crazy in this day and age with everything available on the internet that you can't easily stream live TV when you want it. I've been traveling as a passenger in a car and just wanted to watch the Patriots but instead had to read the scores as they happened from the Patriots app.

Then another time I was traveling on business and wanted to watch live the last episode of Breaking Bad. I was in Chicago in a hotel and lo and behold, they did not have AMC. I was crazy not being able to see the last episode until I got home when my husband had DVR'd it.

I have unlimited cellular service, so streaming is not the problem. I guess the best option would be Slingbox. Does anyone have it and are they happy with it? Once you buy the set box, you don't also have to pay for an ongoing subscription, do you?

21. Nhwhazup thread starter macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Okay Monsoon Vulkano looks like another option but much cheaper. Anyone experienced with this option?

22. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Slingbox works great. There is no additional cost except for the cost of the iPad and/or iPhone apps. The quality of the broadcast depends on the speed and quality of your internet connection. It can be a little weird if you set it up on a DVR used by others at the house as you may be changing the channel remotely while they are watching.

23. TmanATL macrumors member

what? home viewing area and home market are the same exact thing. Go back and read what the OP actually said. You replied that you didn't follow and it's clear that you don't.

Yeah it might work but it's not supposed and and when/if it figures out that you are out of your area it will stop working. Using Aereo out of your area is actually against their terms of use. It's a mistake if it works 200 miles from your home market, not the norm. You should NOT expect that from Aereo.

24. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

PS. they lost. Giving the Broncos back the #1 seed.

25. Nhwhazup thread starter macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Oh how I know they lost :eek::(