Help!! HSDPA 3g Modem problem with lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by blaklaybul, Sep 2, 2011.

1. blaklaybul macrumors regular

blaklaybul

Hello, I just moved to Bulgaria and I purchased this modem::

http://www.vivacom.bg/en/residentia...i/view/usb_hsdpa_modem_alcatel_x220_l/details

I have a friend who uses this with snow leopard, but I am having problems using this with Lion. My computer recognizes it, but when it comes time to connect to the internet, I am unable to.

Are there any drivers I must install in order to use this?

I appreciate everyone's help, since the people working for vivacom are not knowledgable at all on this subject.

2. DecipherXX Guest

DecipherXX

My suggestion is, take the USB Modem and plug it into a Windows machine. Update its firmware, and then try again. If this doesn't solve it, you'll need to wait on Apple.

3. blaklaybul thread starter macrumors regular

blaklaybul

I think that my computer needs to be updated with some firmware... does anyone know of any firmware missing from lion that I can download?

4. AppliedMicro, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011

AppliedMicro macrumors 6502a

It is definitely not your computer.
    This USB stick connects as a plain old USB device.
    USB has been around forever and USB connections work really well and stable nowadays, without any need for any firmware updates to the host.
    (That means the connection itself. Functionality and stability on the device and OS side is a different matter - depending on drivers and application software)

I guess you mean you need a more recent "driver".

After 3 minutes of research I'd probably try the "64bit Mac" driver available here:
    http://www.alcatel-mobilephones.com/global/content/view/full/21572

Seems like you the firmware updates only come as a Windows-compatible .exe file.
    But if the above driver works, you shouldn't need to update the firmware.
    Having said that, I am not familiar with Alcatel devices whatsoever, don't own one, nor do I have acces to one to try this.