Help HUGE problem i can't unmount anything whatsoever!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hb21, Mar 14, 2011.

1. hb21 macrumors newbie

i really need your help here guys...

i tried everything from command lines to stopping spotlight and i can't seem to eject any usb/external hdd/dmg's

not only that...every time i reconnect the usb, the icon is shown again on the desktop (along with the old one which i ejected by removing the usb and getting the "ur drive was not ejected properly" dialog). so if i keep connecting and reconnecting i end up having multiple icons of the same drive!!

i decided to reinstall and i got a new hdd (the old one isn't being recognized for some reason) and when i want to enable time machine it has to format so i press ok but then it says "cannot unmount disk"

what should i do?

any help would be appreciated

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Any chance finder or some other process is accessing that drive when you try to eject it?

Have you taken a look at the logs with the console app to see if you can find a hint there?

3. hb21 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i've already posted once and a person told me to show him the logs and nothing helpful was shown...

i kept seeing the "mds" process so i disabled spotlight altogether and that still didn't work

should i just reinstall OS X ?

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

yes but backup first

5. hb21 thread starter macrumors newbie

is there like a guide to reinstalling because i saw 2 sites and one said i should launch from the desktop and the other said i should shut down then boot while pressing c to go to the menu

is there anything i should know about the reinstallation process or is it pretty straightforward?