Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hb21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
i really need your help here guys...

i tried everything from command lines to stopping spotlight and i can't seem to eject any usb/external hdd/dmg's

not only that...every time i reconnect the usb, the icon is shown again on the desktop (along with the old one which i ejected by removing the usb and getting the "ur drive was not ejected properly" dialog). so if i keep connecting and reconnecting i end up having multiple icons of the same drive!!

i decided to reinstall and i got a new hdd (the old one isn't being recognized for some reason) and when i want to enable time machine it has to format so i press ok but then it says "cannot unmount disk"

what should i do?

any help would be appreciated

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Any chance finder or some other process is accessing that drive when you try to eject it?

Have you taken a look at the logs with the console app to see if you can find a hint there?

hb21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
yes i've already posted once and a person told me to show him the logs and nothing helpful was shown...

i kept seeing the "mds" process so i disabled spotlight altogether and that still didn't work

should i just reinstall OS X ?

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
yes i've already posted once and a person told me to show him the logs and nothing helpful was shown...

i kept seeing the "mds" process so i disabled spotlight altogether and that still didn't work

should i just reinstall OS X ?

yes but backup first

hb21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
yes but backup first

is there like a guide to reinstalling because i saw 2 sites and one said i should launch from the desktop and the other said i should shut down then boot while pressing c to go to the menu

is there anything i should know about the reinstallation process or is it pretty straightforward?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.