Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deltaiscain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Help Please, I have a huge problem with my Macbook Pro 4,1 Penryn. The fans only run on full blast, 6000RPM, even though there is nothing using up my CPU. Also, istat menus, and SMC FanControl won't show my temperature of my CPU, they'll show a: - or 0. I did a clean install, didn't fix it, i reset PRAM, SMC, and it's still occurring.
Does anyone know a fix? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or something to change the max fan speed? THANKS!!!

deltaiscain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
well, don't have a fix, but a way to live with the problem. Anyway, the real problem is, my sensors for my CPU and my 3rd Heatsink aren't working, or aren't attached properly. This results in the computer not knowing what temperature the CPU is, and therefore taking the action of maxing out the fan speed, in order to make sure my CPU won't overheat. However, this is very irritating. My sensors seem to be seriously broken now, so i won't ever be able to see my CPU temp again :(
What i did, was i limited my fan speed to 2500RPM, around the normal. and then i made separate automator applications to raise my fan speed when i click on them.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
What i did, was i limited my fan speed to 2500RPM, around the normal. and then i made separate automator applications to raise my fan speed when i click on them.
Sounds like a short term fix to me and it's only a matter of time. But I'm sure you're smart enough to know this.

Why don't you get your MB repaired? And if it's currently under warranty/Apple care I wonder if you just didn't void it by messing with the fan speeds.

deltaiscain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Sounds like a short term fix to me and it's only a matter of time. But I'm sure you're smart enough to know this.

Why don't you get your MB repaired? And if it's currently under warranty/Apple care I wonder if you just didn't void it by messing with the fan speeds.

It is a short term fix unfortunately, and a bad one, as i will have to manually go put in fan speeds as my MBP gets under more load. However, my MBP doesn't have any applecare anymore, it's over a year old. I tried to open it, but the CPU is under the Logic Board, so to even see it, i have to take the whole Logic Board out, which is probably a bigger and greater risk than doing this.

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Have you tried a PRAM/SMC reset?

i reset PRAM, SMC,

...pays to read the first post ;)

To the OP... take the problem to Apple anyway. Be polite and articulate about the problem and why you think they should fix it for free because it is not a "normal wear and tear" sort of problem. Make sure you know well what you're going to say before going in to the store - getting angry or not knowing what your rights are isn't going to help. I'm not sure what sort of consumer laws you have in your country, but utilise those if they will help.

If you don't have any official Apple stores in your country, try going to a reputable reseller and ask to speak to the manager. Or send an email to Steve Jobs (can't remember the address, Google it. Apparently some "executive customer relations" team reads those emails sometimes), and get on the phone to Apple and plead your case directly to them.

And before you take it in to a store or send it away to get fixed, erase all traces of those fan control programs you have used, ie do a clean reinstall and reset PRAM and SMC again, just so they don't have a reason to not fix it. Being out of warranty, they'll take any reason they can get.

deltaiscain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
...pays to read the first post ;)

To the OP... take the problem to Apple anyway. Be polite and articulate about the problem and why you think they should fix it for free because it is not a "normal wear and tear" sort of problem. Make sure you know well what you're going to say before going in to the store - getting angry or not knowing what your rights are isn't going to help. I'm not sure what sort of consumer laws you have in your country, but utilise those if they will help.

If you don't have any official Apple stores in your country, try going to a reputable reseller and ask to speak to the manager. Or send an email to Steve Jobs (can't remember the address, Google it. Apparently some "executive customer relations" team reads those emails sometimes), and get on the phone to Apple and plead your case directly to them.

And before you take it in to a store or send it away to get fixed, erase all traces of those fan control programs you have used, ie do a clean reinstall and reset PRAM and SMC again, just so they don't have a reason to not fix it. Being out of warranty, they'll take any reason they can get.

Thanks for the help. The support will probably be a bit of a problem. This is indeed not a normal wear and tear problem, i have also always treated my computer with care, never dropped it, etc. However, getting it fixed will be a bit of a problem. Where i live, in Poland, there are no official apple stores, plus i don't speak the language, and i didn't buy the computer here, but in the states. I'll probably just live with it, it's not a major problem, just something irritating. I also have some major projects coming up, so i need to have my computer now.
Thanks for the help though everyone!!!
And if anyone wants to know how to limit the max speed on their fans, just ask.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.