Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dylangurl21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
Help..i Accidentially Saved Over A 12 Page Final In Word..is There Anything Ic An Do?

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
If you still haven't closed word yet, perhaps you can find an autosave somewhere. Otherwise... Don't think there's much hope, unfortunately. Backing up somewhere else atleast once a day is a good thing.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
sorry, it sounds to me there's nothing you can do. i've been there myself, so i feel for you. it's times like these we wish leopard and time machine were already out.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
There is nothing you can do right now. To prevent this in the future, use versioning instead of saving. After you've initially saved the file, you can create versions inside of the file. I have Word vX, so for me, I click on File, and under Save as Web Page, there is "Versions…". Give that a shot, since you can easily roll back bad saves that way.

dylangurl21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
Actually..there is a solution just in case anyone ever searches and finds this thread. I am a compulsive "saver." I save at least every paragraph (I'm an English major; I like my words, ok?). I found a program called FileSalvage which recovered every Word document on my harddrive including all 46 saves of my "563 Final". The pleasure cost me 70 dollars, but I got my 12 page final back so it was well worth it to me.

kauriblume

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
if you've just done it and you had the old text before just ctrl + z until you get the file back. but if you've already gone off it it's nearly impossible unless you have a automatic back up thing :S

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
if you've just done it and you had the old text before just ctrl + z until you get the file back. but if you've already gone off it it's nearly impossible unless you have a automatic back up thing :S

I think, judging from the fact you bumped a thread from 2006, that you can't help this guy.

Simplesimon101

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2006
I think, judging from the fact you bumped a thread from 2006, that you can't help this guy.

and I thought the guy who said this

"it's times like these we wish leopard and time machine were already out."

was being witty and ironic (if not a tiny bit mean)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.