HELP! I Accidently Trashed everything on my desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by littlerv, Mar 24, 2008.

1. littlerv macrumors newbie

I was trying to clean up my desktop and was dragging things to Trash and by mistake moved the hard disk and I can't get into the trash to retrieve it back, so now i can't access anything on my computer. I am running OS X but i can't open finder or anything else. The funny thing is i did have a firefox window open at the time and it still lets me continue on the internet (don't know why) but everything else is in the trash canand i think it is overloaded so i am frozen and i am afraid to power down the machine becasue then it will permanently empty out the trash can and i will lose all my system applications and software and files.

How can i recover my system and not have to reinstall everything? The trash can is Greyed out.

Any suggestions to save me?

2. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Did you empty the trash after putting the hard drive icon in there? If not, try restarting and seeing if it fixes itself. It generally is not possible to trash a hard drive this way. At worst it will unmount it. Restarting should not have any affect on your files.

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

If you emptied teh trash, be careful not to write any more data to the drive. Try your best.

Get yourself a data recovery program, like Data Rescue II http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php
    by the same people who make Drive Genius.

Do a deep drive scan and see what you can get back...You'd be surprised.

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Unless you actually went inside the hard drive and dragged stuff from the opened window into the trash, you can't 'delete' the hard drive.

Single click on an empty space on the desktop.
    Press Apple Key + ,
    Make sure the box next to 'Hard Disks' is checked.