Help I am a newbie!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chang-gang, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Chang-gang macrumors newbie

I just got a Sony HDD DCR-DR62. It was a gift so I have done little research on them. I am stumped! The manual says the camera is not compatable with Mac! Surely there is a way around this. Post up now folks and help a brother.

2. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

the cameras software isnt mac compatable. if the Cam has an IEEE port on it for firewire connection, plug that into you mac, open iMovie and click import!

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I do not own one of these Sonys, however I'd bet that if it has USB cord then your Mac should recognize it... Apple keeps up to date with all the latest camera models usually.;)

4. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Yeah, they mean the software disc that came with your camera.

5. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

What camera is that? Google returns no results.

What tape format is it? If it's hard drive or DVD, you will have a hard time using it with a Mac without some work, unfortunately.

6. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

You mean the SR62... it's a hard drive camera, right? You're in a world of hurt with that. Basically Sony saves all their HDD files in mpeg format. The only way you can get them to edit on your mac is to tranfer them to your computer via USB (this thing has no iLink (firewire)), and then convert them to .mov files using Handbrake. Then you should be able to import them into iMovie and edit. Sorry- apparently Sony are working on this, but, understandibly, they are dragging their feet. In your place, I would return the camera (if it's a new purchase), and either get a miniDV camcorder, or a Panasonic hard-drive based model.

7. neckface macrumors newbie

neckface

Help I am a newbie! Reply to Thread

yeah i have a sony cybershot and its not compatible however just plug it in the usb and you can import all your photos to preview then iphoto :)

p.s i'm a newbie also and can't work out how to watch vids like youtube or even simple ads through the internet!!!

8. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

So you just plug it in... and it works.... and it's not compatible :rolleyes:

I think the OP is actually talking about a video camera, which really is not compatible, though there are workarounds.

In terms of your issues, make sure you have quicktime, and then download flip4mac (WMVs), and Peryan (everything else).

9. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

If the camera does have USB, then connect it to the mac, and switch it to play mode (usually how it works)...It should come up as a drive.

Open it, you may have to dig through some folders to find the movie files. If it is anything like JVC then they will probably use an odd extension for the files as well. (Ex: JVC is mpeg-2 encoded, but uses .mod as the file extension)

Just search google for your camera model, and 'file extension', should be able to find something.

Get MPEGStreamclip (free, so if it doesn't help no harm done). This program will allow you to transcode from mpeg to .dv .avi .mov .mp4 h.264, and on and on and on.

Then you can watch them on your mac, or in .dv you can edit in iMovie, etc.

Hope this is helpful,

Brian