Help! I bent the Battery Clip for Imac Battery!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bradleygt, Jan 22, 2009.

1. bradleygt macrumors newbie

Ok, so my IMac will not turn on (it is a 20" IMac, G5 btw) and after reading some of the thread on here and other forums, it appears it may be the little battery in need of replacing, as this is the 3RD TIME this has happened. The previous two times the IMac just came on by itself after about 24-36 hours.

So for the first time I open up the back and I see the little battery. Seeing a metal clip holding it down, I pull up on the clip to get the battery out so I can get it replaced. But I notice the Clip now has NO TENSION at all and when I try and see if the battery will go back in and be held down, it won't!

Did I break the clip or make it useless by pulling back on it? I tried everything I can think of to get it tight, using needle nose pliers, etc to try and reshape it but not working still!!!

I don't want to take it to the apple store because I am sure they will make me pay of the wazoo and I'll get and earful for trying to fix it myself, although it is out of warrenty :). Does anyone know of a good alternate Apple repair place in Jacksonville Florida area IF that is what I need to do?

Thank you for your help in advance and any help would be appreciated!

Brad

Jacksonville Florida

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. bradleygt thread starter macrumors newbie

here is a link to what the battery looks like, just scrol down till you see the IMac G5 replacement, looks like an oversized watch battery! I am at work and do not have the Imac with me, but the clip is about one inch long, silver and about a quarter inch wide, 1/16 of an inch thick maybe.

http://stn2.headgap.com/resale/FMPr...field=SortID&-Max=40&category=batteries&-find

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Try over-bending the clip back past its original configuration and then slide the battery underneath to see if it holds.

5. bradleygt thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried that last night, its like it has not tension, tensile strenght (not an engineer but I think you know what I mean!) at all anymore! i tried to bend it in a --__ type shape and it still wouldn't hold. That is why I am worried it wasn't meant to be bent at all to take the battery out or i am doing something wrong.

thank you for your advise....i have tried to find a picture by google of what the clip looks like, but no luck yet.