Help I bought the new 15in i5 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbpNOWplz, Apr 21, 2010.

1. mbpNOWplz macrumors newbie

I bought the new macbook pro 15inch 4 days ago. Today I just noticed that the hinge on the back of my laptop is uneven can I ask for a replacement? I still have the 14 day warranty.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You still have the one year warranty, but are inside the 14 days return window with a restocking fee of 10%.

If you ask nicely for a replacement they might wave that though.

3. mbpNOWplz thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't buy from the apple store though I bought it from best buy :/ the restocking fee at best buy is 15%. Thats about 220 dollars just because the hinge is uneven...

4. ljx718 macrumors 6502

how is he outside the return window if he bought it 4 days ago?

5. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

Just make an appointment at the genius bar and go over your issue with them. Let them know that this purchase was not one to be taken lightly and that you want something that is going to give you years of enjoyment.

I returned my first aluminum iMac because it had a tilt to it. Meaning it leaned ever so slightly to the left. :p They allowed the exchange.

6. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

Ok I obviously didn't see this post before writing my reply. No offense man but what you smokin? !5% restocking fee after only 4 days from the purchase? You have bought stuff before right?

Edit: Unless your fishing from us because Best Buy has already denied the straight up exchange because your playing eagle eye and they just don't see it. Am I right?

7. mbpNOWplz thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol I don't know if I have the audacity like you :p but this uneven hinge is bothering me :/

8. MBPi7 macrumors member

Yeah but can you not argue that an uneven hinge will put excess stress on the part and may lead to early failure? We don't have re-stocking fees in the UK but I don't see why if a product isn't up to par you should have to pay anything for a replacement. You're not asking for a refund are you? Just be really friendly.

9. mbpNOWplz thread starter macrumors newbie

You lost me there... but I'm not a college student so the student discount did not work in the apple store, and best buy accepted high school students so I just bought from best buy thought I saved a 100$.

10. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

What I'm saying is you have to be very clear as to why Best Buy would have the nerve to charge a restocking fee for an exchange after only 4 days from the original purchase date.

11. MBPi7 macrumors member

:D

12. mbpNOWplz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah good point. But I just hope that the give me the replacement... Well today is my 3rd day with the laptop I'm going to ask for a replacement tomorrow. I hope they don't charge me :/

13. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

:rolleyes: That was really mentioned in the context of the restocking fee being in conjunction with an exchange.

14. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

HaHa. It all makes sense now. No my young padawan they will not hit you with a restocking fee. No worries.

15. anarchron macrumors member

They can't charge you restocking fee if you file it under a DOA.

16. mbpNOWplz thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright I trust you guys :) I feel a little better now. And btw whats a DOA damaged on arrival?

17. BigWil254 macrumors newbie

I bought the i7 Model and I got 200 bucks off mine. I coulda lied and said its 250 cuz I used to work there and knew the dude that checked me out. That 200 went right to the 3yr warranty. ( Who buys the extended warranty)

I do. Because I used to be a tech there and I know the loop holes on how to get an automatic junk out.

18. BigWil254 macrumors newbie

Dont let Best Buy bully you. They just try to **** on people most the time. Its a Manufacturers defect. Which is an instant exchange.

19. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

One Option...

Go in there kicking and screaming. If they don't give you a new computer that you are 100% satisfied with just start whaling on the geeksquad. :D

20. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

My friend just bought his new mbp with the student discount on apple store. Hes in highschool, and his school was searchable on the apple website....

21. sdw macrumors newbie

I purchased a PC computer from Best Buy a few months ago. I never took the computer out of the box as I decided I would go with a Mac computer in the future. The box was completely sealed and never opened!! The computer was returned within the 14 day period. The customer service rep told me she "may or may not charge me at restock fee". I told her if she charged me a restock fee for a computer that was never opened and still sealed that I would not step foot in their store again (brand new BB newly opened this year). She angrily gave me a credit on my charge card. I was not impressed with this store's customer service. She must have worn down very quickly on being a pleasant customer service rep. With that said, the sales personnel in the store seem great and could not be more helpful.

22. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Where did I write "outside"?

I said, the OP still has the one year (361 days) warranty, but is INSIDE the 14 days return period.

The BUT was in response to the OP's comment of "still having the 14 day warranty".

23. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

Do what I should have done after my first post here spinnerlys. Start softly whistling while taking slow backward steps. After about five steps turn and walk away.

24. mbpNOWplz thread starter macrumors newbie

They exchanged it :) hehe the hinge is even now haha. i owe you guys lol

25. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

Good to hear. :)