HELP - I CANNOT DO A RESTORE - The device isn't eligible for the requested build

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by joreto, Feb 23, 2010.

1. joreto macrumors newbie

Hi, I did something very stupid and I need a little bit of help. I have a 3GS 16GB phone with FW 3.1 and Modem 05.11.07. I installed blackra1n in order to jailbreak it, and from there I installed cydia and blacksnow in order to unlock it (it was locked to a Bulgarian mobile operator). I pressed the button “make my life easier” in cydia in order to save the IBEC and IBSS files on the cydia server. However I had problems with cydia – every time when I was downloading sources it got stuck on the screen with ”updating sources”. I uninstalled cydia and tried to install it again, but it didn’t let me. I tried doing restore to 3.1 or 3.1.2, but I always got a message “The Iphone could not be restored. The device isn't eligible for the requested build”. Then I did something very stupid and pressed the button “erase all content and settings”. Now my phone is in DFU mode and every time when I try to restore it to 3.1 or 3.1.2 or to downgrade it to 3.0 I get the same mistake: “The Iphone could not be restored. The device isn't eligible for the requested build”.

I apologize in advance if there is somewhere already written on the same topic, but I just could not find it with the search option.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. joreto thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried this, but it did not work - still the same mistake.

I am not sure that I have backup on the shshs files, because when I pressed the button make my life easier in cydia (I pressed it without knowing what it meant at that time - it just sounded as a button I should press:) I did not check later to see in cydia if there was the message that my files were saved. Also it was just the time when Apple released the 3.1.3.

Now I tried restoring with an unlocked 3.1.3 custom firmware and I get further than with the original firmwares. However this time I got error 1600 and I am trying to understand what it is. In some post I have read in order to fix this error I have to try to restore from normal mode (not DFU). However as I do not have an OS, I don't know what normal mode means for my Iphone right now. If somebody has an idea, please write me. Thanks in advance!

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It might have been too late by then. Right after 3.1.3 came
    out Apple stopped signing 3.1.2 shsh's.
    So it looks like your out of luck.

5. joreto thread starter macrumors newbie

so if I put now the original 3.1.3 firmware, can I use my iphone at least as an ipod?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It wont let you do anything with it untill you activate it.
    See if you can borrow an official carriers simcard so you can put it in for a minute and activate it right after it restores thru itunes.
    After that you can take out the sim and use it as a touch till a new JB and unlock is released in the future.

7. jo0 macrumors regular

the caps on the topic made this sound really urgent... oh its just another failed jailbreak. oooops.

8. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

DO NOT RESTORE TO TO 3.1.3!

Check iClarified on downgrade instructions. You have to send your downgrade request to Cydia servers, not Apple servers. iClarified has a guide for you.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The link you posted is on How to Downgrade iPhone 3GS 3.1 to 3.0 OS
    He cannot send his request to Cydia servers since he doesnt have his SHSH's saved thru cydia. Apple stopped signing them as soon as 3.1.3 was released. So if he doesnt have them saved on Sauriks server he will not be able to restore to anything besides 3.1.3 at the moment.
    Please dont try to post advice when you're not positive about it cause all you're causing is confusion.

10. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

Ok, the OP might not have the same urgency, but I do!
    I need to use my phone...
    I have a failed jailbreak (several apps, especially some core apps are now missing), but I can't restore.
    It's an iPhone4, running 4.2.1. All i want is to get the functionality back to my phone, but not even a legitimate, 4.3 upgrade is working. iTunes keeps giving me the error that the OP was getting
    any ideas?:confused:

EDIT: btw, i can still receive texts, i just can't view them =(
    searching the iphone brings back results (for songs, for example), but when i try to play a song, it gives out an error message: "This URL wasn't loaded: search://com.apple.mobileipod-MediaPlayer/6/11192074245750506925"

11. jdaniel macrumors 65816

what you mean searching the iphone? So your phone is accessible.. How about forget about the jailbreak....

1. Did you use cydia? Did you save your SHSH? If you accessed Cydia for the first time it would have asked you to do it.

Sometimes I prefer to use the phone functions/settings and re-set to factory state erase all content and etc... and let it do its thing...and see what happens..see if anything is fixed when you do that... not fixed go to next step.

you can download a 4.2.1...from a source online... google. then basically put phone into DFU mode... and option restore point to the 4.2.1... have you tried that? You mentioned an upgrade to 4.3 but have u tried to get it back to 4.2.1...
    So far I have not heard anything about Apple not signing 4.2.1 you MAY be able to do it simply this way.

Right after you do this.. IF you succeed.. I suggest you download tinyumbrella immediately and back up all avail SHSH or whatever files.. will help if you have future issues.

12. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

Yeah, I was at the "forget jailbreak" point when I wrote that post hehe.
    Thing was, iTunes was giving the error all the time, whether that be a legitimate 4.2.1, or 4.3 firmware!
    I decided to look into the /etc/hosts file, and found two entries in there related to apple/itunes.
    After deleting the entries, iTunes didn't complain anymore.
    I can wait for the 4.3 Jailbreak, which shouldn't be too far away.
    And yes, I saved the SHSH Blobs in Cydia (Tiny Umbrella wasn't working. Kept saying that the device wasn't "eligible"), so I might be able to downgrade to a Jailbroken 4.2.1 (theoretically)
    The only issue now is that with the 4.3 update my baseband has been updated to 04.10.01 :(
    Wonder how long it will take for this BB to be unlocked...

edit: thank you for being supportive!

13. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Np and yeah its ALWAYS the hosts files hehe happened to me a couple of times.. no matter what the error might be or how it manifests its almost always that..

yeah... did u accidentally lock yourself up? by upgrading baseband? oops...so what.. now u cant use your phone? sucks...

14. penter, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

penter macrumors 6502a

penter

nah, didnt' lock myself up. I do need to get it unlocked eventually, though.
    "So what!?" Well, if I did i'd be screwed! lol
    I've done some research, and it seems liek the exploit has already been found. they're just waiting to test it out before releasing it.

15. jdaniel macrumors 65816

yeah hopefully :) hope u have another iphone to use meanwhile i feel like a piece of me if missing after a few hours w/o