Help! I cannot get photoshop/lightroom to recognize my Nik Software plugin?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by VideoNewbie, Nov 5, 2010.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

I have installed the following nik software plugins:

-color efex pro
    -silver efex pro
    -sharpener efex pro
    -dfine efex pro

when i open photoshop and click on "filters>>nik software" the only thing that comes up for me is color efex...i do not see any of the other plugins???

also when i open lightroom and i try to right click and edit the picture in... >> i do not see the option of any kind of nik software whatsoever..

please help!

also can someone tell me why one would edit images in photoshop vs lightroom? doesnt photoshop do everything lightroom does plus more?

2. lostless macrumors 6502

If you're running cs5, it most likely is running in 64 bit mode. The nik software may be 32 bit, which will not load into 64 bit Photoshop. I believe the makers of nik have updated all it's software to 64 bit. Just download the updates. If not, you'll have to boot into 32 mode by right (control) clicking on the ps app and choose get info. From there, click the 32 bit check mark. Ps will run fine in 32 bit, but will be abit slower and be limited to 4 gigs of ram.

3. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

hey thanks...

will the 32bit vs 64bit setting
    affect picture quality at all?

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

No. 32 and 64 bit refer to the chunk size that the processor is using. It's a speed thing.

Color spaces for photos have bit depth numbers, too, but it's different. There's a difference in the total number of colors that can be shown in 8 bit color, but 16 bit holds almost all the colors that the eye can see.

Dale

5. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

I can not get it to switch to 32/64 by right clicking on the pS app...

when i right click on the pS app and click get info this is what i get

[​IMG]

also, im on CS4 not on CS5....

so im pretty sure that im already running on 32...

yet i still dont see the plugins in my filter dropdown list...ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.

6. RobSylvan macrumors newbie

In Lightroom, if you go to Lightroom > Preferences > Presets, is Store presets with catalog checked? If so, uncheck and restart Lightroom. Does that help?

7. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Photoshop CS4 on the Mac is 32 bit only, so that's why you don't see the option. PS only went to 64 bit on the Mac with CS5.