Help! I can't access my iTunes files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sirty Juan, May 16, 2007.

1. Sirty Juan macrumors newbie

So I got this G4 Quicksilver free from work (they're getting rid of it) and I've spent the past few weeks tranfering ALL my music onto it. Its running OS 10.3.9. It was set to always enter a profile (user account or what ever you want to call it) when you turn the computer on. As I don't have the password for this account I never logged out. I decided to set up my own profile to use and tranfered all my files on the old profile into the 'shared' profile folder. I can access all these files and folders, EXCEPT my iTunes folder. The icon for the folder shows a little lock and it won't let me access it.

I did set up the master password for the computer and the new profile is set to Administrator.

In hindsight i should have moved all the individual music folders out of the itunes folder and into the shared profile rather than just moving the itunes folder.

Heres what i would like to know, if anyone has the answers:
    1. How can i gain access to these folders that are locked.
    2. Is tehre something i could do that would allow me to re-access the original profile - ie. break into the original profile?
    3. How can i use the master password to gain completely urestricted access to teh computer??

Thankyou very much to everyone who took the time to read about my problem. Hope you can help!

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

As your new user account is set as an administrator, can't you just unlock the iTunes folder via "get info" (command-i) when the folder is highlighted?

try adjusting the permissions to: owner = "your login name" = read and write; group = "administrator" = read and write access; "others" = read only or no access

3. Sirty Juan thread starter macrumors newbie

I already tried mucking with the setting in the 'get info' box, but it wouldn't let me.

I'll try adjusting the permissions tonight. I'm not convinced that I'll work though. Does anyone else have ideas on how i can access locked files as an administrator?

I feel that the easiest solution is to break into the computer when it's booting up. I'm told it is very easy to do and then you can access all files and don't need passwords. Does anyone know how to do that?

Cheers.