HELP!!! I Can't Find an anwser to this anywhere.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by WTF2009, Jan 12, 2010.

1. WTF2009 macrumors newbie

It is a simple question really that seems to be impossible to find an answer to.

If I restore my Iphone as new and then snyc it WITHOUT restoring from a backup, what information will be put back on the phone?

Am I wrong in thinking that my contacts, clander, etc. will be restored?

I am trying to do the fun task of removing some old e-mail addresses and can't restore from my backup because the backup contains those addresses. I just want to restore the phone without losing my contacts, photos, calander info, etc.

Can someone PLEASE tell me the answer to this?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You would (if checked in the dialog box) sync with address book, iCal calendar, email, chosen media (photos/music/movies/apps) on your host computer.

3. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

None of you info will be put back onto the phone if you restore as a "new" phone. It will reset it to the factory settings like you just bought it off the shelf.

If you have your calendar, contacts, photos, etc are backup or synced from like mobileme or some other service you will be fine. Just have to set everything back up.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

Umm

it will be restored as if you opened the box the 1st time or (as new) you then select the apps, photo, contact info etc. how ever when you select your contact info it will only be as good as your last back up. so those address would reappear.

why not sync it with the current data you want. in other words sync it with the new data and all should be good!

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, contacts, clander, etc. will not be restored.
    It will be setup as new with nothing on it.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Not exactly. I do a restore as new all the time. All you have to do is make sure you've synced what can be synced to the appropriate programs (like Address Book for Contacts, etc.). The only thing you can't get back are game saves, app settings, where your icons are on your pages, wifi passwords, and VVM password.

7. WTF2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it will go back to being a clean slate but aren't all of my contacts and calender info and photos in the camera roll saved each time I sync the phone?

Can I not just get those back on the phone after I set it as new without doing it from a backup?

Am I just missing a step here or something?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, you just gotta sync up the stuff you need back to your iphone. Also you gotta have the information needed saved on your computer like you said, address book etc...
    But once its setup as new and unsynced its basicly an empty iphone with nothing on it from previous iphone backups.

9. WTF2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, If I sync the phone and make sure all of those are checked under the info tab, then restore it as new and sync it, again making sure all of those are checked under the info tab, then all of the contacts and calender info that was saved prior to the restore will be restored to the phone?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes

11. WTF2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. Everything talks about restoring from a backup but my backup contains what I don't want to save. So just to be certain, all of that info will sync back to the phone without having to restore it from a backup??