Help! I can't install safari on macbook!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by junker, Sep 13, 2011.

1. junker macrumors 6502

junker

I bought a used 2007 macbook off of craigslist yesterday (for a friend who's in the states for a few months - then he will sell it again) and when I took it home to clean it, add ram and generally tighten the ship up for him (he's non-mac head), I had noticed that the previous owner had deleted Safari!

So, I downloaded the latest safari, mounted and installed it. It asked to restart to finish installation - I do so, when it boots up, Safari is nowhere to be seen!!!

I've tried to install 4 times to no avail. I made sure of it's installed location and of the user account priviliges (admin); I've also run permission repair.

Sheesh!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

You'll need to restore Safari from a system disk using Pacifist or the like.

TBH, might be quicker to just do an erase and re-install...

3. junker thread starter macrumors 6502

junker

Thanks! This is what I was afraid of. Ugh. I was thinking that a re-install might just be the ticket - but a boy can dream, right? ;)

4. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Seems like when you buy a used macbook it is never perfect in some way..

5. junker thread starter macrumors 6502

junker

Yeh I don't expect perfection (in anything) and especially with the case. But with the OS, I do expect one basic functionality (being able to install an Ape program) to be... well, functional! :)

6. session101 macrumors regular

when i got mine used i automatically formatted the HD and the put a fresh OSX on it.... no problems

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I would setup from scratch any used computer. Who knows what form of quagmire lurks on a previous install.