help, I can't remove the aperture screensaver.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by darthpenguin, Apr 25, 2009.

1. darthpenguin macrumors newbie

darthpenguin

ok, so a few months ago I had Aperture on my macbook. I didn't like it so I removed it. But I still see the entry for the aperture screensaver in my screensaver preference pane. I have searched the entire HDD and removed anything to do with aperture but the screensaver remains. I've been all over google but it seems like no one else has had this problem. Or maybe the solution is obvious. What have I missed? I don't want a useless screensaver in my screensaver list. Aperture (and all other apps for OS X) should come with an uninstaller.

any help would be appreciated.

2. darthpenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

darthpenguin

::BUMP::

When I search "aperture screensaver" in google my own forum thread is the first hit. My screensaver still shows the aperture screensaver even after removing the aperture application. Has NO ONE ELSE had this problem or are people just ignoring this because it doesn't effect the system drastically? It is a real pain to have a useless screensaver in my screensaver preferences. can someone please help me get rid of it.

please please please ......

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Have you tried pulling ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.screensaver.XXXXX.plist?

4. darthpenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

darthpenguin

Thank you JediMeister. I found a file in that location called com.apple.screensavers.aperture.(cryptic numbers and letters).plist

I deleted this file (and emptied trash) then restarted the MacBook. I can still see the aperture entry. any other ideas?

should I delete com.apple.screensaver.D948BBC1-1289-5204-85A0-BDCD356F6A79.plist?

thank you

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Can't say I know what that other file is but plists are designed easily regenerated by the system with no ill effects, with the possible exception of the Mail.plist. I don't see any harm in pulling that other item. One other thing occurred to me while I was thinking over this issue, how exactly did you uninstall Aperture? Did you just pull the application itself or did you dig through the /Library/Application Support and /Library/Receipts folders to dig out its guts?

6. darthpenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

darthpenguin

I have never been in /Library/Receipts it is full of .pkg files ... cool... But I found nothing in there regarding aperture and I have already been in Application support and removed all aperture files. any screensaver plist files I remove (including the com.apple.screensavers.aperture one) just come back. Aperture screensaver is still there.

7. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

Have you look in both the Screen Saver folders???
    1: look under your Users/Library/Screen Savers
    2: look under your Hard drive Macintosh HD/Library/Screen Savers

8. darthpenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

darthpenguin

yes. both completely empty. could the file be hidden (filename preceded by .)? how do I unhide?

9. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

You can download TinkerTool if you don't already have it, it will let you show Hidden Files.
    http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html

Or MainMenu
    http://www.santasw.com/

I have both, and use for different things.

10. darthpenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

darthpenguin

Hi, me again.

OK, I just forgot about the aperture thing because it wasn't causing any harm. But yesterday I thought I was time to wipe the HDD and start fresh. I have a Time Machine Backup but I decided not to use it. I copied my "Documents" folder to a thumb drive and then used the cds that came with my MacBook to completely erase the HDD and reinstall. I did not "Archive and Install" or anything like that. Just a completely fresh install of Leopard. I even removed iphoto as I never use it either. After system updates and manually copying my "Documents" over that damned Aperture Screensaver showed up again. WTF!!!

Out of curiosity I looked at my dad's mac mini (running OS 10.5.6) and the aperture screensaver is there too. My dad swears up and down the Aperture was NEVER installed on that computer.

Are my computers possessed? I don't get it. My brother has a PowerBook G4 with Leopard and his is fine. What is wrong? how can I get rid of this thing?

[​IMG]

11. darthpenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

darthpenguin

Solved

OK, I just found the problem.

Under /Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/ there is a plug-in called iLMBAperturePlugin.ilmbplugin. Deleting this plugin (or moving it out of it'd folder) will remove that screensaver from the Screensaver preference pane.

But why is it on my dad's Mac that has never had aperture installed? or why was it on mine after a complete HDD re-format???? odd.

12. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i have never installed it either but i have it in my screensaver options. it's just something that is installed with the operating system.

13. mechanic42069 macrumors newbie

Erasing unwanted screensaver arpertures after deleting them..

I had the same problem, and I solved with the program Appcleaner. It is free and after install look for the other tab and the screensaver file should be in there. It worked for me good luck!