iPad Help I can't rip DVD to my Mac

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobright, May 5, 2014.

1. bobright macrumors 601

So I bought a movie and I'm wanting to rip it to my hard drive for viewing on my iPad but it isnt opening for me. I heard Handbrake works well but when I click source and try to find my DVD it isn't there. I tried throwing it at Toast Titanium and it says its CSS copy protected. Is there some type of workaround I can do?

I am going on a trip soon and am hoping to resolve this soon.

Thanks guys

2. Billit macrumors member

As I understand it, Handbrake by itself cannot break the disk encryption you will need to copy a file or two to the Handbrake folder. I believe that the files can be downloaded from the VLC website, but I am not certain. There are multiple programs that can "rip" the DVD files to the hard drive thereby removing the copy-protection and then Handbrake will see the files so that you can make a Apple compatable movie file for your iPad.

I'm sure that someone else who understands what I'm talking about can point you in the right direction.

You most likely would get better answers to your question by posting to the Apple TV and Home Theater fora on these forums. You could probably answer your own question just by reading that fora.

Good luck.

3. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

It is now solved was just a silly error on my part. I had to select "show devices" in the Finder window that's why I couldn't see/select the DVD. You are right though it did make me download a file from a third party before it allowed me to rip it, it popped up where to get it. Thanks