HELP! I can't turn my MacBook back on!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LeAlem, Nov 2, 2007.

1. LeAlem macrumors newbie

So my MacBook somehow slipped off the table and fell on the floor today. The table is not even that high, so I didn't think there was any damage caused. The macbook itself looks fine. I opened it up, and the screen was frozen, so I had to shut it down by holding the power button, since nothing else worked.

Now it doesn't work. When I turn it on, it makes that sound it usually does when turned on, but there's nothing but a white screen, and a an icon that looks like a gray folder with a question mark on it flashing in the middle of the screen.

How do I fix this? Please, any help is appreciated.

2. jbstew32 macrumors regular

How old is the MB? you could try calling Apple or taking it to the Apple store to see if they can figure it out. Just tell them exactly what it's doing, and I'm sure they'll help you out or fix whatever is wrong with it. Not that I advocate lying or anything, but it would probably not be wise to tell them you dropped it :)

My personal guess would be that the hard drive is dead, but I could be wrong. Everything else is the computer is solid state, so I can't imagine how a simple fall would damage it. If it is the hard drive, and you don't have a warranty (or Apple is no help), it's a relatively cheap fix.

3. foidulus macrumors 6502a

The hard drive might not even be dead, it might have just become disconnected. I would suggest the OP take out their battery and reseat the hard drive(and probably the ram just to be sure). On the macbooks this is a relatively simple procedure.

4. jbstew32 macrumors regular

oh very good point! yes, try that!

sorry for all my typos too. I didn't do too much in the way of proof reading! :eek:

5. LeAlem thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx for responding guys. I have had this macbook for only a year. It's been working fine until today. The fall didn't seem to damage the outside at all. No scratches or even cracks. Nothing. I'm surprised a fall like this could have damaged it on the inside.. but what do I know? I'm a girl, and don't know a thing about computers, which is why I needed the help from here.

Foidulus, how do you reseat the hard drive and the ram? And which one is which? Hah.. sorry, don't know much about computers, but wouldn't mind going in there and doing it myself if it's as simple as you make it sound.

6. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

7. iBecks macrumors 6502

Hopefully the Sudden Motion Sensor on the hard drive kicked in.

Have you tried booting from the Mac OS DVD and use disk utility to see if the hard drive is detected?

8. LeAlem thread starter macrumors newbie

And this is the only thing I see when I turn it on. The flashing folder.
    [​IMG]

9. LeAlem thread starter macrumors newbie

chas0001 those directions are great.. thank you. I will try that in the morning.

and ibecks, I have not tried that either, but I sure will as soon as I can find the dvd.

Hopefully one of these suggestions works. I will let you know. Thanks for your input so much guys. I really appreciate it. ;)

10. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

That symbol means that it cannot find the startup hard drive.

Press the power button until the computer turns off
    Press the power button again to turn it on while holding down the ALT key.

The screen should display a picture of a HARD DRIVE. If it does click on it and the computer should try to start from the hard drive.

If it does not this means that there is probably something wrong with the Hard Drive. Follow the instructions to remove/resinsert it.

Try this first, there are other things you can do like boot from the Restore DVD, but we can cover those later.

11. LeAlem thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so this is what I did so far. I tried to turn it on while holding the alt key, but no picture of a hard drive came up. Still seeing a white blank screen, until eventually the question folder starts flashing again.

Tried inserting the mac os install disc as well.. and after a while it actually went to the installer part, and then I clicked on disk utility and then it froze on me again.. and I had to shut it down. Now it just gets stuck at the white screen again.

12. LeAlem thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the mac os x install disc again, and it goes to the installer part, and then I choose disc utility because I just read that I should do that in the mac user guide troubleshooting.. and the part where I am supposed to use the First Aid pane to see if the utility can repair the disc.. doesn't work. It freezes there.. and now the computer is making a clicking sound.

13. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Try the reseating the hard drive and memory as per the fixit instructions. If that does not work then unfortunately you will have to take it into an apple store.

Are you still under warranty?

14. iBecks macrumors 6502

Sounds like your hard drive could be faulty, take it to an Apple store and let them sort it out, you could say it happened all of the sudden, I'm not saying lie, just don't tell them everything.

15. LeAlem thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, ibecks.. it doesn't look damaged, so I don't have to tell them what exactly happened.

I just went on the apple site and checked if I have warranty and unfortunately, I do not.

I want to try and open it and reseat the hard drive and memory as you suggested chas, before I take it in to the store. Can I use something else instead of that little screwdriver that is required? I don't think I have that.

16. iBecks macrumors 6502

If you are out of warranty, then it may be worth while fitting a new hard drive yourself, just follow the instructions at www.ifixit.com.

On a side note, even though your Apple warranty has expired, did you purchase it using a credit card?

I'm not sure where you are, but some credit cards in the UK double the warranty time on purchases made using the credit card, also some stores offer this warranty doubling aswell.

17. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

You need a #00 Phillips Screwdriver.

Another thing to try is the 'Apple Hardware Test' to see if it can find the problem. To use this insert the Macbook Install disk 1 and start the computer. Hold down the D key as its starting.

Shame about the warranty. You never know you may be luck and the problem could be just a failed hard drive. If this is the case you can buy one very cheaply (under $100)

Bottom of the page on this website : http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/DDR2/

My MAC PRO's hard drive failed 2 months after buying it. As I have no Apple stores here in Spain they wanted me to lug the whole computer to a reseller an hour and a half away. They would not just let me take the hard drive in to get it replaced. In the end I just bought a new hard drive. It saved all the hassle.

Unfortunately, Apple will probably charge a premium for any repairs outside of a warranty.

18. LeAlem thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok guys, so I went in and reseated the hard drive and the ram.. and umm, the computer won't even turn on now. All I get is a blinking light (the one where it usually shows the computer is sleeping).. but now it is blinking really fast. The screan doesn't even turn on anymore.

I wish I just knew what exactly was wrong with it. If I knew it was the hard drive, i'd easily buy it since the price you mentioned doesn't sound bad at all.

iBecks, I didn't purchase it myself. My bf at the time got it for me as a present, along with a printer and an ipod nano. I guess he got a good deal at the apple store for all 3 at the time.

One question.. when you take it to the store for them to fix it, can they and do they open up any of your things you have on there? I don't know why, but I feel like my macbook is something personal, and I always feel weird when anyone goes through it. Maybe it's just me..

19. iBecks macrumors 6502

When you reseated the RAM and HD which foidulus suggested, did you remove the power adapter?

20. LeAlem thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I didn't. Would it have made a difference? Maybe I should do it again.

21. LeAlem thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I did it without the power adopter connected to it, and still the same. It clicks a few times, and then the little flashing white light (sleeping light) starts. Screen doesn't even turn on anymore.

It's 7:30 in the morning here, and I've been trying to fix it all night long. THank you guys for all your help. If you have any more ideas let me know. Otherwise, I'm just gonna have to take it in to the store. God knows how much they're gonna charge me to fix it.

Again, thank youuuu.. :)

22. iBecks macrumors 6502

Well, you've possibly made the problem worse.

Power and battery must be removed when doing anything inside any electrical device, especialy when removing/reseating RAM and hard drives.

foidulus should have included this when he advised what to do.

Take it to Apple and let them sort it out.

23. iBecks macrumors 6502