[HELP] I can't uninstall an app that wont appear in applications

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Luzario1, May 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Luzario1 macrumors newbie

I've recently downloaded steam and attempted to download Tf2. I decided to not download it and cancelled the download. But the icon is still in my launchpad and I can't delete it. I deleted steam completely and the icon is still there and it wont delete. I googled it and couldn't find an answer. I'm on mac btw.

2. Tech198 macrumors G5

You mean you launch Launchpad,, hold down Option till icon jiggles then click the "X" ? You should get a popup.

3. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

Did you look in the 'Applications' folders? If I remember correctly (it's still quarter till Dawn here!) there's two Applications folders, one system, one user based. Have a look in those to see if the so it's listed in them.

You can only 'jiggle' remove App Store installed apps. Everything else (including Steam apps) has to be handled differently (some provide uninstallers in their respective 'Library' folder I believe)

4. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I think you have to do it manually:

1. Launch Activity Monitor. Look for the apps in question, if found force quit the process.
    2. Download and launch EasyFind (Freeware), look for "Steam" and "Team Fortress 2". Delete the entries found. Be very careful during this process, always check the dates when the file was created or modified. Don't delete files you are not sure about.
    3. Reboot.

Good luck!

5. Luzario1 thread starter macrumors newbie

How would I go into the other folder? I've already checked the main application folder.
    I'm giving that a try now.

6. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

It's under your home folder.

7. Luzario1 thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked. You're a life saver. Been bugging me all day. Now how do I uninstall EasyFind?
    --- Post Merged, May 27, 2018 ---
    It's fine, I got it resolved. But thanks for taking your time in replying!

8. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

You don't have to unistall EasyFind as it is a very useful app. (As you have experienced).
    Nevertheless, it can be uninstalled the usual way, drag it to the trash.