HELP! i cant webshare anymore!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DoFoT9, May 12, 2008.

1. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hey every1,

ok so i decided to turn on my website once again, just so i can get to some music from anywhere.

i turned on "web sharing" in system prefs, but nothing happens!!!

when i go to the two links provided by the system preferences- web sharing thing, it just directs to a site that cannot be loaded.

yes i have the index.html file in the right folder. i have changed nothing since i last run it.

i don't know why it is working, maybe some settings/permissions have been changed??

any experience with this anyone?

thanks in advance
    DoFoT9

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Can you provide more specifics? What url is it directing you to?

3. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok so it redirects me to absolutely nothing!!!!

the picture with the address (which i go to via the sharing system prefs pane) done absolutely nothing...

i have tried putting in my IP (which used to work) but now that is hopeless aswell.

i have also provided the directory for my website, which is in library>webserver>documents>index.html that is where it used to default to.

Attached Files:

4. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

You should find out if Apache is even listening. Type the terminal command:

sudo lsof -i -P | grep httpd

And post what you get. If you don't get anything, that means that the Webserver isn't even running, and might have died on startup. Could be a bad configuration file.

5. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hey sheepy, i put it into terminal, running as root (had to log into my admin) put in password, when i hit enter it just stalled...

nothing happened, the cursor just went to the next line and nothing has happened as of yet (about 3minutes later). terminal isnt using up any CPU or anything either.

i guess that apache is doomed, how can i reinstall??

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You don't need to reinstall, fortunately. Just find your Apache configuration file (if you're using the default Apache install that comes with Mac OS X, it's in /etc/httpd/ and called httpd.conf), verify that everything is set as it should be, then try this command from the Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apachectl start
    If that works, you'll be returned to the command prompt, and Apache will be running. If not, you'll see an error message indicating what went wrong during startup.

7. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

AAAAHHHH

there is no httpd file in the /etc locaiton!!

this may be the problem! hhmm can i just copy it from my imac?? should still be the same files, trying now
    p.s. it says "already loaded!"

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Ah - there's your problem. First of all, run this command in Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apachectl stop
    That will halt the web server. Then, after you've copied the configuration file (repair permissions after you do this), restart Apache.

9. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i can copy the configuration file straight from the same location on my imac?

ok sleep time for me, will work more on it 2morrow thank you so much for your help guys!

DoFoT9